Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time limit in "For Sale" & "Gear Wanted" Forums

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Nino Valenti, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is there a way to put a time limit on the threads in the FD & GW sections. Looking at the last page of the FS section, there are items from 2000.

Can you have a 2 week time limit and after that time the thread gets automaticly deleted? That should clear up ALOT of space. I'm also tired of seeing the seller post "sold" in his thread instead of deleting the thread & this could fix that "problem" also. :)

Attached Files:

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't think that deleting the threads is the answer, because the old threads make a very good archive for the going rate of used gear. I think it would be better for the thread title to be changed to add the word "sold" to it, and the thread closed. That way, the threads can still be searched for so people can see what prices things go for.

I think that once something is sold, the seller should PM the mod or reports the post, saying that the item has been sold and the thread should be closed.

[EDIT] And for the items that do not sell, they can stay open until the items sell, or go off the market, in which case, the seller could still PM or report the thread to be closed.

3. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    But according to the current rules, once an item is sold, it should be deleted so I'm basing my suggestion on the rule.

You're Idea is good also but when I need to find the "going rate" for a particular item, I go to the "Recently Sold" section of eBay.

Finding a peice of gear from 4 years ago is hardly the going rate, thou.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't always trust eBay for going rate, as I have seen used things sold for more than the same item new. Auctions hike up the price of everything. On here, there is no auction, there is just buying and selling, which is, in my opinion, more representative of going rate. And seeing what something went for 4 years ago can still give you a good idea of what something goes for, and anyone can deduce where the price may have gone from there.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    maybe there could be a 3 month limit. that's 90 days, plenty of time. if nobody has touched it in 90 days it would be automatically deleted?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. I prefer to keep the old thread and mark it Sold or lock it.

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    So if you're looking for a price of, lets say, a "Fender 75 RI USA" & 10 different sellers sold 10 different ones in the $900-1100 range, that's not a good way to get a good "going rate"? But you'd trust an outdated ad from 4 yeaqrs ago? :confused:

"Auctions hike up the price of everything."
    Which is why people like to sell on eBay. Alot of times, as a seller, you get more $$$ then you expect to get. This has happened alot to me. I'd put something up with a low reserve & then it would end up way higher. Also on numerous ocasions, I've put an item that I thought was a fair price & it didn't move.

IMO, the ending pirce of eBay auctions are a good resourse for getting a good estimate "going rate"

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thread revival. Did this idea get shot down?

This happens a lot. The threads are not being locked, or the seller is not updating/deleting the thread.

I'm in favor of having a time limit, be it 2 weeks or 3 months, or even a year. You would be able to see a few current prices this way, without all the old threads. As for additional going prices, there's eBay, HC, and even the Gear Reviews section here.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't say it happens a lot, but it does happen.

I would suggest that FS and Wanted ads be automatically archived after three months with no activity. They could be viewed, but not posted.

I *think* vBulletin can handle this. Paul?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If vBulletin can do this, I think that is a great idea. The reason I was opposed to a timeout in the past is because I was under the assumption that the thread would be deleted, not archived. I am one of those who thinks that the older threads are a valuable resource for determining market value, etc.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    30 days and it's deleted.

That's the way it is on a couple other forums I go to and it seems fair. I like not having to keep track of my ads, update them, etc.

If I want to find a "going rate" I go to eBay recently sold. Like it or not, people go to, use and check eBay.

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It's a "no brainer" that due to market flux on music gear, a 6 month old thread would be no help on current pricing of used gear, much less a 4 year old one.:meh:

Yes, to save bandwidth the threads should (automatically) be deleted....but two weeks is way too short. Some things are a harder sell than others. If no activity after say, 2 months, then the thread should be deleted.

13. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Sorry, VBulletin does not have an archiving feature. It is easy to prune out all threads that have't been posted to in X number of days. Also, hanging on to old classifieds does not eat up any significant resources - we have plenty of hard drive space, and the space used by the text of ads is insignificant. I'm not throwing my weight on one side or the other, just throwing out some info :)

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The problem with using the these "For Sale" threads to figure out what the going price is that the price that is on the ad is what the seller is looking to sell it for as opposed to eBay (for instance) where it is how much the buyer is willing to spend.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I think the 2 week limit with an option pm to the seller to allow them to keep it activated for another 2 weeks all the way up until it sells.

If they ignore the pm then it automatically deletes.

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    There really is no use to keep them searchable. While some might like a 1 year old post as reference for selling a similar item, it's just too much of a pain in the a** to keep hitting SOLD items when searching.

My recent search for a 210 cab yielded more sold items than available ones and really irritated me.

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Ditto!

Marshall

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ill go through sometime in the next day or two and close every FS/GW thread prior to 2006. That clears up any question of the outdated-ness, and it only takes two mouse clicks for each thread.

19. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Would it be at all possible to somehow separate the "sold" from "available" items in the way they show up?

For instance, once a thread is closed, it's taken out of the FS forum and placed somewhere else (a "sold" forum?). I'm not in any way familiar with vBulletin, so I don't know if it's even possible. It probably isn't; but it's an idea nonetheless.

20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    How about a time limit on suggestion box threads. This bad boy is two years old.......

;)