1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Time Machine Bass Project - Build Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doner Designs, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    We have a few builds in the works at the moment - two Warmoths to replace personal bass gear I sold and a USMC Telecaster guitar for a charity auction which we are in the latter stages of building. We always start thinking about the next project before the current is finished and I'm super excited about this one so figured I would go ahead and start a build thread.

Since our themes have now covered all the military branches we are looking in new directions. We have thought about doing a hot rod theme and have thought about doing a steampunk theme. The latest idea is to do a time machine and that will allow us to also bring in hot rod and steampunk concepts.

Right now we are just in the dreaming/conceptual stage where we look at lots of pictures and ponder. We will draw from multiple time machine concepts from movies, books, etc. Back to the Future is a favorite, but it will not be a BTF time machine.

The other cool thing is that my son is now an engineering student, so he might actually be able to build a working time machine. :)

Thoughts, ideas and pictures welcome. Post your favorite time machine pics.

And yes, of course it will have a flux capacitor; that is what makes time travel possible! We already have that worked out conceptually.

Here are some of the pics I have been staring at...

Back_to_future-deloran-dmc-time_machine-2x-terabass.
    cfead84f147cc718891ce4f51d619a66-d5auo02.
    DeLorean_DMC-12_Time_Machine_-_Mr__Fusion.
    Delorean-Interior-2.
    dmc-12_backtothefuture_04.
    dsc04221.
    looper-movie-time-travel-machine-sony-pictures.
    MV5BMTYxNzUwMzQ2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTAwNjk4MDE@__V1_SX214_AL_. terminator. napoleon-dynamite.
    TeamTimeCar_com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey_com-JMortonPhoto_com-01.
    TeamTimeCar_com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey_com-JMortonPhoto_com-05.
    TeamTimeCar_com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey_com-JMortonPhoto_com-06.
    TeamTimeCar_com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey_com-JMortonPhoto_com-07.

the_time_machine_by_hameed-d5eup0d.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  2. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    A few more pics. We have not selected a body style but were thinking about Iceman or Explorer shapes as a possibility.

time%20travel%20shutterstock_180631775.

TIME_MACHINE_Minority_Media_03_0.

TIME_MACHINEASSY_1.

time_travel_by_timecross.

Time-Displacement.

time-machine-illo.

time-travel-in-phone-booth.

wells2.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  4. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Yes, Tony does great amazing steampunks and was even kind enough to offer to coach us when we decide to do one. This one will be a bit of a hybrid, but you are right we should pull in some of his pics and ideas.

Here are a couple shots of Tony's.

steampunk_guitars_kj1rk.

2679fa86263887fc767bc15c589a4fc6. steampunkstrat3.

imagesU27Y7968. b32d1a82af4e7c35dddba032f410f68d.

RNG1, Crusher47, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  5. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I would discount the Napoleon Dynamite machine from your design influence considering "it's a piece of crap! it doesn't work!"

6. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Funniest line in the movie IMO is that one and what follows by uncle Rico: "I coulda told ya that" (because he actually tried it).

Crusher47, jackn1202, Ghastly and 2 others like this.
  7. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

May 22, 2011
    Canonsburg pa
    If I were you I would look at some diesel punk or atomic punk design concepts. Both these concepts barrow from the hot rod world as well as the sci-fi realm

Doner Designs likes this.
  8. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    A few of mine:
    Steampunk%20Strat_zpsvfvgwsls.

ThunderPunkBird_zpslqhwk1we.

BassandGuitarWEB_zps46db616a.

Steam%20Strat_zpsuwgnhf6j.

RobsBass1_zps17016ce4.

mikewalker, RNG1, Crusher47 and 21 others like this.
  9. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Thanks for the tip!

ExaltBass likes this.
  10. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    If it doesn't have a working Flux Capacitor, it should not be called a time machine.
    ..just sayin...

Dwitt33, ExaltBass and Doner Designs like this.
  11. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Those are awesome! Since you are a commercial user I take it you build these for sale? You selected good ones for the look we are going for - outboard wiring, clock, lots of gadgetry, etc. All of them very tasteful and well done in my opinion - along the lines of what I would aspire to do.

I'd like to look up your company or website can you post here or PM me?

Fyi, we look at pictures for inspiration, but put them away at some point. We have no interest in doing something that's not completely original.

ExaltBass likes this.
  12. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Glad to see Napoleon using that. When I saw the first picture I wondered where that lower attachment went.

Moonshine :bassist:

13. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    I could not agree more! My son and I plan to make one out of clear plastic tubing and LED's. He tells me he has taken enough engineering classes to make the LED's do a chasing effect. To generate the "1.21 jigawatts of power" we were thinking that maybe a rack of Crown power amps which can either be used as amps or be back-fed into the guitar might generate enough power. Absent that, we my have to find a source for plutonium. :) Of course the Napoleon Dynamite time machine runs off of regular AC power, so that might be an option (except that its a piece of crap and doesn't work). :)

Dwitt33, ExaltBass and Matthew_84 like this.
  14. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Steve...
    I built most of these as projects with old guitars and basses that I acquired in trades or very inexpensively. That first strat, for example, I got at a guitar show where the guy in the booth next to me wanted a bass I had for sale VERY badly, but had little cash, so he offered this busted-up, Van Halen-ish red striped old Series 10 Strat copy, and I said, "What the heck, OK". Then, I started thinking, now what am I going to do with THIS? Too cheap to warrant a full restore, too good for firewood. Then I saw thew Tony Cochran website, and after studying those pics for a few days, I thought... "I'm gonna try one of those."

Well, I learned a few things, then I started enlisting friends and family to find and bring me old junk that I could use for the steampunk aesthetic (especially old grungy cookie sheets!) and then I built another one as a Christmas gift, then two more, then I opened a small repair shop last year, so now I have a place to sell and display them (Backstage Guitar Lab, see on FaceBook).

So, it's more my art projects that I make out of otherwise not-so-great guitars, then sell 'em. I never really intended these to be a money-making proposition, just a way of making something cool out of otherwise not particularly valuable instruments. I'd probably never do that to an American Fender, for example.

15. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Very cool, thanks! I'll take a look over the weekend!

16. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    That bird is AMAZING.

17. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Mr. Ogle does seem to have a gift for that kind of thing!

ExaltBass, Helix and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  18. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Yes he does.....Awesome stuff Mr. Ogle!!

Doner Designs likes this.
  19. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I thought this was an ACTUAL time machine build. I'm disappointed because I was hoping to go back in time to the early 1960s and bring back a pre- CBS Fender. Oh well. Really cool looking instruments though!

20. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Steve, please note: If you are not visited by your future self during the building process, your time machine doesn't work. ;)