time of the learning process

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by poof, Mar 16, 2005.

1. poof

Sep 28, 2004
    Im starting double bass, very exciting. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to play at a respectable level on the double bass? I've heard it takes a very long time to learn even the basics.
  2. About 30 years should do it.
    It's impossible to answer this question without some details, like do you know anything about music? Do you play any other instrument? If so, are you a beginner, intermediate? Do you have an aptitude for music?
    If you are starting from scratch, it will take you maybe one to five years to play basically through a few Real Book tunes, depending on how many hours a day you practice, and whether you have a good teacher. There are way to many variables to give you a proper answer.
  3. When I first started, it took me about a week to be able to play a simple blues line.
    Then it took me about 5 years to play the same line with a decent, big sound.
    After that, it has taken the last 15 years learning to play something that has a meaning.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've heard pro Jazz players of 30-40 years standing, say they are still learning....;)
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    How long it takes depends mostly on how much work you put in (and with whom) and to a modest degree on how much "natural talent" you have.

There are many players who become "musical monks" for a couple of years and emerge with great sound and fine lines. Even those fortunate folks continue to evolve over time and doubtless look back at their early efforts with a rueful chuckle.

I've been playing jazz since 1974 and DB since 1978. I was never a six-hour-a-day practice-monk -- too bad for me. I just heard a tape of me in 1986 and was disappointed at how little progress I've made. Nevertheless I have noticed some modest growth in my sound and concept over the last five years. Hanging around here has helped me some.

Fritz Kreisler was the top violin virtuoso of the early 20th century -- the Isaac Stern of his day. His wife was quoted as saying, "Imagine how good Fritz would be if I could only get him to practice!"