Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time signature, what makes one different?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SpankBass, Dec 1, 2002.

1. What is the difference between having 4 quarter notes in 4/4 time as opposed to 4 eigth notes in 2/4 time at a slower tempo? Is it just the writers preference, like which ever is easier to write for?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It affects the feel. Being in 2/4 would imply that the bar had 2 main beats rather than 4 (it would have a 2 feel rather than a 4 feel). Writing in 2/4 would be equivalent to writing in 2/2 at double the tempo, not 4/4 at double the tempo.

So, the decision over whether to use 2/2 or 2/4 is a matter of preference, and there's no difference as far as feel is concerned. If, for example, writing it in 2/4 meant having lots of teeny 32nd notes, it might be better to double the note values and use 2/2, as this might be easier to read.

At least, this is my understanding.

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    yep. It's all a preference of feel and how the drummer plays (and how everyone else plays for that matter...). For instance, you could have a song in 7/4 time, but it might also work as a measure of 3/4 and a measure of 4/4.. or 4/4 and 3/4.

Like the end of Frank Zappa's "Echidna's Arf (of you)". It would work if it was still in 4/4 time... but switching to 5/16 makes way more sense based on what everyone is playing.

4. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Great topic!
    This actually came up at a big band rehearsal not long ago.We were reading a chart of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" in 11/4 time, with measures of 6 and 10 thrown in(for good measure):p The drummer & I agreed it was confusing written in 4 and shudda been in 8.
    There's a definite difference in the quality of a quarter beat or eighth beat-irrespective of tempo or number of written notes. I can feel it, but I cant describe the theory. I suspect it deals with accents, strong-weak beats, and deep in my subconscience something says triplets.
    any word from those in the know?