Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

time signatures?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    oke i am kinda confused about time signatures :( i know that the top number is the number of beats in the bar and the bottom one is what beat they are eg crotchet or minum or whatever. but i don't see whay things like 2/4 and 4/4 are so different :confused: why cant you just have one bar of 4 crotchets in 4/4 instead of 2 bars of 2 crotchets in 2/4 ? or am i totally wrong here? HELP!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What's a crotchet?

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A motorcycle, I think.

4. Isn't that what women do with string and a hooky stick thing? :p ;)

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    a crotchet is a british quarter note...

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    jazzbo,
    Stand in front of a mirror. ...... Reach down the front of your pants. What is in your hand? No, it isn't a crotchet. :eek:

A crotchet is either a 1/4 note or an 1/8 note I can't remember. It is just another name for a note time value, I just can't remember which one.:confused:

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how's that different than a regular quarter note? oh, wait, i bet they're always ahead of the beat, and a bit pinched, right? :D :eek: :rolleyes:

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...they(our buddies across the Pond)will also use quavers, semiquavers, etc.

I think one is an 1/8th note, the other a 1/16th.

9. Crotchets and other names like it are the terms used in traditonal european classical music.

Crotchet = 1/4 note

Quaver = 1/8 note

Semiquaver = 1/16 note

Demisemiquaver = 1/32 note

Hemidemisemiquaver = 1/64 note

and so on...

Oh yeah

Minim = 1/2 note

Semibrieve = errr do you guys call it a whole note?

Brieve = Twice the length of what i think you guys call a whole note.

I am not sure if there are any other terms for longer notes, I think they employ ties for longer notes. anyone know??

This is just the terminology i was taught at school. I think they are german terms. again, anyone know??

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    loud and clear thank u. so its not wrong to do 2/4 not 4/4 ... just easier sumtimes, yeh?

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, generally you'll know when to write a piece in a certain time signature, as it just makes more sense... As I believe Ed pointed out earlier, it's all about where the pulse of the music winds up happening. It gets really obvious when something is in say 11/8. I personally am a sucker for odd meter stuff, there was a tune I played in a jazz group in college that was in 13/16 time. :D The solo section was real fun, as it was 4 bars of 13/16, 6 bars of 4/4, and then 2 bars of 13/16. Talk about a nightmare to keep straight. :D

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it does make a difference - 2/4 is usually classed as "a march" - so 2/4 is marching time!

So most (authentic) Samba is in 2/4 as the idea is that it is marching music for the processions in the Rio Carnival and similar.