Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

time sigs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fenderboy, Sep 2, 2002.

1. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    ok i need help with time signaturs. i know that when it sez something like 4
    4 . the 4 on the top is how many beats per measure but the bottome is what confuses me i meen isnt it like something like quarter note gets the beat. can you help me out explain it with great detail.also explain other times to me such as common time. i should already know this its just i have forgot it cause i havent really used it.

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    You're probably gonna get a bit better response over in the General Tech forum...I'm sure a moderator will come along shortly and move this:)

Alex

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, general instruction it is. another hint, if you have a hard time finding it, check out the search function, there's lots of stuff relating to this topic available.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Your profile lists a teacher. Have you asked him about this? Basically, you're asking a question about the "grammar" of music, but at this point your question is extremely vague. Perhaps if you were to phrase your question in English, the folks around here would be more inclined to jump in and help. (apologies for the last suggestion if you are not a U.S. citizen).

Also, there's a lot of good theory-related stuff in here:

http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56761

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    4/4 - 4 beats in a measure, quatar note gets the beat.. THIS IS COMMON TIME

4/8- 4 beats in a measure, eigth note gets the beat

4/16- 4 beats in a measure, sixtenth note gets the beat

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about the last few pages of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" - I was looking at the score today prompted by another post?

The time signature alternates between 2/16 and 3/16 every few bars (although there are occasional sections which go from 5/16 to 2/8 and 1/8) and then finishes with a bar of 5/16 followed finally by 3 bars of 3/4.

How would you approach that? ;)

Sounds like "Staggering Genius" to me!! :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    What version of Rite should I own?
    Conductor, Orchestra, Label, etc?

Mucho Mahalo!

BTW, I'm currently on a Euro-Free Large/Big Band kick...
    Just picked up Alexander Von Schlippenbach's Global Unity Orchestra & The Living Music and European Echoes by Manfred Schoof.
    Are you familiar with these guys?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - never heard of them - I've seen the Vienna Art Orchestra live - you might like them - Jazz big band versions of contemporary classical and original Jazz pieces.