Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to buy a bigger amp.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jack, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Remember the good old days when bassists only had to cut through at most a 100W full stack? Those days are over.

Granted, its solid state, but still dont tell your guitarists. :eek:

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    This is stupid!!!! Guitarists don't need that much power.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    :scowl:

Fender's response to the Marshall Mode Four...

I don't get it. It's a numbers thing... watts = coolness.

I don't like the Marshall at all. Why solid state? I understand who this is being marketed towards, but why not make a 250+ watt all-tube head? That would be impressive. :bassist:

4. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    yet more expensive than their target demographic could afford.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah, but what sane guitar player(oxymoron?) needs more than say 50 watts into two 12's for a club gig. I cringe every time I see a guitar player with a full stack facing a club that holds maybe a hundred people if you squeeze in tight and grease up the last few.

I much prefer having a smaller rig for stage volume and letting the PA push the volume.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the really funny thing is this.........

the sound that most guitar players crave when using an all tube amp (the only way to go for guitar IMO) is acheived by turning up until the power amp tubes just start to distort. this geneally happens at a pretty loud setting. for most gigs, a 25-50watt amp thru 1 twelve will be way more than loud enough at this setting.

now you get a guy who brings a 100 watt head with a 4x12 or maybe two 4x12 cabs. one of two things happens. either there's no way he can turn up to the setting where he gets the ideal sound without getting kicked out instantly, OR he just says screw it and turns up impossibly loud.

the 100 watt super lead and 4x12 cabs were designed to be used in STADIUMS where the guitar might have to rely entirely upon its own amp rather than the PA

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dislike large guitar amps, they are just,not needed. My gutiarist just bought a 100 watt fender 2x12 combo, and it is damn loud. Its plenty competition for my 300 watt halfstack.

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Replying to myself to clarify....

I know what age group their demographic is, and the size of their wallets.

Of course there is no need/market for anything like this. I dislike playing with Mesa and Marshall halfstacks, and those are "only" 100 watters. I'm just sayin'... for total amp overkill, it'd be cool. :p

9. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    It's a good thing both of the guitarists in my band refuse to play without tubes. :hyper:

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    and yet it still manages to be 40 lbs lighter than my 400 watt bass amp. . :crying:

11. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    That thing should be banned. I have a hard enough time hearing my bass over my friends 60 watt stack. 550 watts, whats the point of the bassist? to look cool leaning against his 1500 watt huge stack that cant be heard?

12. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    My guitarist showed interest in a pre/power amp setup. I kicked him.

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    :D

How totally cool is that? If I were a 16 year old guitar player, this setup would be the Holy Grail. :) Sounds like this setup was inspired by the beginning of Back to the Future.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Right up until you're fined according to a residential noise ordinance. Then it sucks donkey.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I don't know what the laws are like down in God's Waiting Room (all those old folks in FL probably go to bed around what, 7PM?) but up here I'm allowed to make whatever noise I want until 10PM.

16. omg... if people start buying that for their guitars... then... us bassists will have to declare bankruptsy to continue playing!

:rollno: