Time to buy a new bass..any of these Essex's any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Jul 25, 2002.

1. I got very lucky and someone gave me a bass to learn on..it wasn't in the best shape and now I've made it in worse..but that's ok..a new one is almost due anyway and the resale value (I believe) on that one is like $25...(Global 4 string...sold at JC Penny I believe). Anyway...sorry to ramble..my price range is around $150 and the Essex's seem to fit there perfectly...I've heard they've been getting good reviews but I haven't seen any of these reviews,good or bad. I'm looking at either the BG-150 or....I can't remember the name..I'll post it back here in a minute...Think either of these will be a good choice? Also I'm left handed..the bass that was given to me is right handed...I've learned to play it and it pretty much feels natural..but the BG-150 is available lefty for the same price as the righty...think I should stay right handed or swich to left handed? Thanks.
  2. SPB57 TM Thats the other bass I'm looking into...both can be seen and purchased at Rondomusic.com
  3. Disregard that last post....That is a P-bass and I'm pretty sure I want a jazz bass the correct model number is SJB-62 ..it can still be seen at rondomusic.com Please respond if you have any information about These basses or any Essex bass or If you have ever purchased anything from Rondomusic.com...
  4. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Many people here will say go with the essex jazz, and the only differnece between them is the looks...I agree with them, great basses for very cheap!
  5. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    You should search and read the previous discussions - there's been a ton of Essex discussion here. Bottom line - they are not the greatest basses on the planet, but they are good, and for the price, they are unbelievable.
  6. Before I was given my first bass I looked into the Essex's and was going to order either a right or left handed BG-150...Now as I check back with their site...the black BG-150 that I remember being available in lefty and right..is only available in left! I scrolled down further and saw that they have a bg-150 V Nat right handed or something like that...which costs more and I'm not sure what the differences are, but it's not the one I saw a few months ago....and The SJB-62 looks almost exactly like the BG-150 just different colors...they have the pictures side by side on Rondomusic.com if someone with a trained eye would (pleeeease) be willing to look and see if they are in fact the same thing.
    Again Thanks
  7. the BG-150 has an Ash body (giving it a brighter sound). the other jazzes have Alder bodies (slightly warmer, but still fairly bright). Ash is heavier, while Alder is lighter.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ash is usually lighter than alder. swamp ash that is.

9. Which would you suggest? Ash or Alder? And is that the only differences as far as you can tell? As I stated earlier I am left handed, but I think that I can pick with my right hand and use my more flexible hand to actually hold the chords and stuff....thanks as usual.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think that may be backwards.

11. i have ash on my BG150. I'd suggest alder though, just cause its lighter. Personally, I like ash, but its really up to you

Ash = heavier and snappier
    Alder = lighter and slightly warmer
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    keep playing whatever handed you do now.

and the 70's essex bass looks to have some pretty seriously nice grain ash.
  13. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I ordered an Essex J bass last week so it should be here Friday or Saturday. I'll let you know what I think as soon as it gets here. I'm sure I'll play it till my fingers are sore (then switch to a pick!!). Essex has a good reputation here at TALKBASS.COM.
  14. oh yeah, if you feel more comfortable playing right handed while you are left handed, go for it. thats what i do. i find it easier to fret and just have my right hand plucking.
  15. I own the SJB-62, and I love it. Seriously, what cost me $140 after shipping easy stacks up to the near $400 MIM Fender Jazz. The Essex is just as easy to upgrade, sounds just as good stock, and is a quality instrument. The body construction on mine had no flaws, the frets are level and smooth, the neck is great (And I typically don't like Jazz width necks), and the electronics aren't scratchy.

The Essex hices you the best bang for the buck, IMO.

Do a search on Essex basses, and you'll see how many of us own them and love them.
  16. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    I'm a new owner of a 150, and I love it.
    And, the natural body is super beautiful.
  17. The SJB-62 has Rosewood inlays and the BG-150 has fine maple inlays...Is there an advantage to either one of these? As soon as I get the money I'm gonna place my order....The O'l Global is lookin rough
  18. maple is just slightly brighter than rosewood. the difference is barely noticable.
  19. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    This is totally subjective, but I think you have a bit more tonal flexibility with maple than rosewood.
    Either way, it's true that it's not a drastic difference, so it's ok to pick what looks good to you. ;)