1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time to Buy: Boss GT-10B or Line6 M13 or Zoom B2.1 or Korg AX3000B HELP !!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jibreel, Apr 27, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have read a ton of threads/reviews etc and although there are more multi-effects devices [ and better: Eventide/AxeFX Ultra ], I have narrowed it down to these four:

Boss GT-10B
    Line6 M13
    Zoom B2.1
    Korg AX3000B

I am willing to spend the $400.00-500.00 to get something decent. I would be happy if the Zoom did it. Not really sure about the Korg.

Please keep in mind that my main interest is AMBIENT sounds. I do not use distortion/fuzz/overdrive or wild effects. Synth is low on the list.

I have a Boss RX-50 loop station so no need for looping. I do not plan on using an expression pedal much. Having the looper and/or a pedal is no problem of course.

Finally, I will not be wanting to use a ton of different sounds. Mostly enhancement and variety to fretless bass. I want HIGH QUALITY chorus/delay/mod/reverb etc.

And I am NOT NOT NOT a good/patient tweaker. I know that the stock patches are not great and I will have to learn to tweak but the most plug and play model would certainly be preferred.

Any and all input is much appreciated. Time to use the credit card.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Just from experience w/ the M13 it gets my vote. Simple to use, sounds great.

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    In all sincerity I'd recommend trying them all out and seeing if any of the sounds grab you. I've had the Boss GT-6B, (not the GT10) and found it to be a little frustrating to program. I use little beyond the Line 6 M9 (with a seperate overdrive pedal). For reverbs, delays, modulation and octaver/filter type effects it's difficult to beat in terms of sound (to my ears). I find it far easier to program than anything by Boss that I've owned in the past. I'm sure the M13 would be even more spectacular.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    True, if you didn't need something AS overkill as the M13, get the M9. that's my next purchase.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like the GT-10B. Not the most user friendly but certainly not as difficult to program as the GT-6B was. I use it to primarily enhance my tone. IMO/IME with it, the effects quality is 2nd to none.

The old Boss ME-6B might do exactly what you want it to do. It's simple to use and IIRC has all the effects you mentioned you wanted. They sounded good back in the day and you won't come close to paying what you would for any of the ones you listed.

6. I don't know about the Line 6 or the Korg. I own the Boss GT-6B and the Zoom B2. The GT-6B is extremely versatile but a bit of a pain to set up. The B2 is about as simple as it can be considering what's in it. I was using it right out of the box and it's my first choice for most gigs, no muss no fuss.

7. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    How about the sound quality of the effects between the two, especially in the ambient range?

Thanks !!

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    For ambient music, definitely go for the korg ax3000b. it's got a large variety of effects, amp and cab models at an affordable price. you can easily create some ambient sounds with it.

9. if you want to make AMBIENT sounds you can either use pre programmed patches on the GT10 or Korg, or you can create (say experiment) with your own exclusive sounds with an M13.
    Does the Boss, Korg, Zoom allow you to use 4 delays in a row ?
    Does the Boss, Korg, Zoom allow you to use chorus -> Delay -> Reverb -> Delay ?
    Does the Boss, Korg, Zoom allow you to use reverb -> Reverb -> Reverb -> Flanger ?

if you want ambient sounds, you have to experiment. and to do so, GET OFF THE PC AND GO GET THE M13 ! ;)

10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    End.

Actually, probably the M9 would be more than enough for you. For ambient sounds, I think the M13/M9 are ideal.

Neither have amp or cabinet simulation, but they have some pretty amazing models of the best ambient effects out there...plus the software gets updated occasionally with new models.

(I had the Boss GT-8 or some variant...too much tweaking required. I also own the Zoom B2.1u, and now only use it as my computer interface...I run my M13 through it to record! I've never experienced the Korg product.)

11. Ziplock

Ziplock

Jan 7, 2010
    Just an FYI: the Korg AX3000B has been discontinued, or at least that's what I've been lead to believe.

I purchased one several months ago, and it had a defective reverb switch. Upon sending the unit back to the place I bought it from, I was told that Korg had in fact notified the dealer that it has been discontinued. :bawl:

12. THIAGO Ibanez

THIAGO Ibanez

Dec 21, 2009
    The line 6 m13 is desinged for guitar. How does is work with the bass. Im also looking for an Effect Processor. thanks

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Lots of bassists use the M13, just look at all the threads about it and the M9.

@ Jibreel, I do not recommend the Zoom. I think you will be disappointed by the sound quality.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't use effects and I've been tempted by the M9.

15. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks Bongo, I had that sense and I am glad you confirmed it.

I think it's now coming down to whether I can get by with the M9.
    Side by side comparison on the Line6 site: http://line6.com/m13/compare.html

3 vs 2 Models per FX Unit
    4 vs 3 Simultaneous Effects
    M13 has fx send/return

EDIT: Just read through 16 pages on the M9. Hadn't even noticed there was a Line6 Forum. :bag:

For those of you of you with experience with the M9/13 and with effects in general, for ambient sound [ not needing distortion etc ], is having more than 3 effects really ever going to be needed ?

16. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The M13 was designed by a bassist...it works fantastic with bass. I have a scene for each bass.

The M13 is quite awesome for tweaking.

17. Yes.
    And don´t miss this video -->

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Actually they are discontinued. I'm kinda bummed about it because I always thought the korg ax3000b is a phenomenal bass multi-effects processor. I wonder why korg discontinued them. I've been recommending this multi-effects processor for a long time and now they're being discontinued. I'm guessing the only way to purchase one is if you find one on ebay or craig's list. even if it is discontinued or not, I still say that the korg ax3000b is a phenomenal multi-effects processor.

19. The M13 is fantastic. Just great, especially for what you are talking about. A bajillion times better than the Zoom. I don't have any experience with the rest.

A word of warning, though. When you first pick up the M13 (or M9) the quantity of available effects is a bit intimidating. It's hard to become intimate with the individual effects. For example, there are 16 delays that are similar, but each is a little different. Learning their names and their nuances are a little tricky unless you find one that stands out to you.

That is about the only downside IMO. The programming is super easy, the versatility is unbelievable.

Yes, you can use 4 spaces at once, with significant sonic advantage gained. Only you can decide if you will.

20. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    So Line 6 is will be and I am now deciding between the two models. The average price difference of completed sales on ebay is around $ 30.00. Price will not be the determining factor for me though.

I like the smaller footprint. Hard to say no to having the option of 4 spaces.

I will decided shortly.

Many, many thanks to all who have commented here !!!!