Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time To Change Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PsychoBassist, May 28, 2002.

1. I'm a relatively new bassist, I've been playing for about 5 or 6 months, and I don't have any previous experience with stringed instruments. I was just wondering, I got my bass about 5 months ago, and I've been using the same strings, and now in certain areas, there is a brownish colour showing through, my friend told me that it's because the coating is wearing off and I need new strings now, but I think they still sound fine, but I figured I should get a second opinion first.
    I also heard from someone in another forum that when strings loose their tonal quality, if you take them off and boil them in water for a while, then dry them and put them back on, they will sound like new again. I thought this sounded a bit far fetched, but has anybody every heard of it actually working?

2. I change strings every 3 to 4 months, due to the brown color change at spots on the string, but also just to try a new brand/type and see how the tone of the bass changes and changes in the way the bass feels. The poll in this forum shows the majority changes strings about this amount. Some like the sound of old strings though and keep them on a year or until broke. I suppose the spots they get don't really affect tone much until they get real bad. Some peoples sweat affects the string life differently and corrosion sets in quicker. Some people just like the brightness of new strings and want that new sound all the time.

You don't have to change just cause someone tells you to. I think if you are happy with the tone of the old ones keep them on longer

I have heard many times about boiling strings. The sound gets brighter, similiar but not quite like new, but doesn't last as long. Personally, I would rather go get new strings, and try new tones.

The quest for tone... I suppose I will find MY TONE someday with strings that are very fit my playing style and idea of comfort, and then when I change strings will depend on keeping that tone going and no other reason.

3. punkaxe

punkaxe

May 29, 2002
    Bothell, WA
    "I also heard from someone in another forum that when strings loose their tonal quality, if you take them off and boil them in water for a while, then dry them and put them back on, they will sound like new again. I thought this sounded a bit far fetched, but has anybody every heard of it actually working?" I used to live with a guy that would boil his strings and he swore by it. I haven't ever tried it but between buying new strings or boiling the old, i would boil.

4. Do a search under this forum using "boil" or "boil strings". You'll get a lot of information from those that have tried it.