Time to change?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by furtim, Oct 11, 2000.

1. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    How exactly does one tell when his strings need changing? I suspect that I may need a new set of strings, but I'm not entirely sure. There are a few places where the surface of the strings seems to be "pitted" a little and the string feels a tad "stiff", but it still responds fairly well. I'm just wondering how much longer I can expect these strings to play well so I can get a new set before then.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This is totally subjective, and changes from player to player. Some players only like the sound and feel of new strings, and some Reggae players have been known to use their strings for years, and only replace them when they break.

When you don't like the sound and/or feel of your strings anymore, change 'em.
  3. Thanks I love those neck straps but most are religous. Now I can wear one and feel comfortable you see mine is WWJD.
  4. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    No problem, BassDude. =) Actually, I want to buy one of those things now just so I can go around saying that to everyone I know. It would really surprise most of them at first, too. Hehehe.

And to Slater: thanks. The sound I'm getting is still pretty decent, I think, but I can't even remember what they sounded like before, so I'm not sure if replacing them would be able to approximate the sound I want better. But I'd still like an answer to the second part of my question... how much wear and tear can a string take before it starts to really sound different?
  5. Replace your strings with a new set and you will hear the difference. It is sometimes bigger than one think! But as always it is very subjective, it depends on your sound prefs and how much your hands sweat, how much you bend, pop and so on.. it is hard to say a rule by thumb here. I personally think that about two months, then its time to do something about the strings, I usually boil them clean and use them for another month or so.
  6. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    It's tricky, but I always know when it's time change strings. I find there's a time, say, one week after changing and for the next four/five weeks when I get the best sound out of my strings.

However, it's strange that the sound can seem to change overnight? One day: The bass sounds great. Next day: Oh my god, these strings are terrible, better change them?