Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to choose... Pedulla or Stingray 5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrebel, Apr 20, 2005.

1. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ok guys, I've come to this, I found both a Pedulla MPV-5 and a SR5, both at the same price

what do you preffer, and why??

I'll be playing mostly upbeat reggae and ska/rock

2. I like the stingray more. Tighter B, growlier, MM pickup (my fave).

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I really like my Pedulla MVP. However, the Stingray is also a really nice bass. For my needs though, I wouldn't trade my Pedulla for a Stingray, but you may prefer the Stingray sound.

4. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    ok, I've owned before a SR5, I like the tone.

I've never tried a Pedulla, how's the sound, compared to de SR5??

[​IMG]

this is the pedulla

[​IMG]

This is the musicman

5. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    get the music man. The pedulla is a more expensive bass, but there is just something about stingrays. I also think the stingray will cut better.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Stingray fivers have decent B strings. But every Pedulla I have ever played had a noticeably better sounding, tighter B than the Stingray. That is one of the reasons I bought a Pedulla Rapture J2 over a Stingray 5 a few years back. Because of the B.

The MVP has an even better B than the Rapture.

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If it was any other Pedulla besides an MVP, I'd say go with the Stingray but just something about the MVP really does it for me. Go Pedulla :hyper: .

8. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    The Stingray may cut a bit better, but there is no way that I'd take the Stingray over the Pedulla at a similar price. The playability and range of tones of the Pedulla is excellent (unless there is something wrong with this particular bass). Granted, I've never owned or even really had a strong desire to own a Stingray, but I have played them and they're very good basses, I just prefer the looks, feel, and sound of a Pedulla. In the pic, it looks like the Pedulla may be missing it's little truss rod cover on the headstock and there is some strange attachment (bar like object) between the bridge and the jazz style pickup. My Pedulla has no such bar there and I do not know what it is that I am seeing there.

9. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    it has a gk2b for midi, or v-bass

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Dude,

PEDULLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never owned both (owned a SUB5) but played both in GC before. Man...the SR5 is sweet but the MVP5 was on another level.
    -Bazz-

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Unless your playing in a Funk band and just dying for the Stingray tone, I would lean towards the Pedulla. They have great necks, exceptional cutomer service (Mike Pedulla answers the phone), and you don;t see many MVP's so it'll kinda be unique.

12. Lots of Pedullaphiles here. I would go for the Ped MV5. Nice instruments. Cool lines and more veresatile, IMO.

13. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    you want the pedulla. especially for those reggae grooves. you'll get that satisfying p-thump

14. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You're comparing apples and oranges here, but for the same money as an SR, I'd got for a Pedulla every time.

Lonnybass

PS In the interest of full disclosure, please be aware that I am in Pedulla's Artist program (an unpaid affiliation).

15. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    any other opinions?

16. my rapture j2000 made me a happy man
    I'm sure it will do the same for you :smug:

17. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I still have the Pedulla MVP; in fact, I liked it so much I bought a second as a backup.

The Sting Ray didn't last long after the Pedulla MVP moved into town.

18. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think I'll go with the pedulla, I'll be recieving some cash this week, and with some savings go buy that sucker, the thing that most interested me was the p-thump that "talks a lot" in reggae music.

If any of you have more information to share, feel free

Have a nice day,

Danny

19. Play them both. They sound completely different. Pick the one you like best.

I think the Pedulla is probably a more expensive bass, so I'm surprised they're the same price. That would imply the Pedulla is the better bargain, but that doesn't matter if you like the tone of the Stingray better. If the "bargain" aspect bothers you, wait for a better price on the Stingray, but don't buy the Pedulla because its a better "bargain".

Unless you can sell the Pedulla for a profit and THEN get the Stingray and have some extra cash left over....

Randy

Randy

20. ska/rock?

sounds like a job for a stingray