Time to Decide.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Well for the last 6 months ive been in a band called Oblivious, playing mostly covers and a few originals.
    They are kids,(all are younger than me)but we do play paying gigs.
    Okay, now the weird part. 2 weeks ago, i went to try out for a really really good ska band, We will be playing LARGER! shows. This is promised pretty much by the guitarist and lead singer, who ive known since I was like 11 and he got me into punk rock more than I was.( I was listening to the Replacements in 3rd grade.) Brian just helped me expand my music into Less Than Jake, The Aquabats, Nofx, Lagwagon, and the almight Descendents.
    Well im in his band now. He called me up and he was like "If you can put your time and effort into this; we want you to be the full time drummer of our band, because those 3 tracks we recorded,were our tightest and best. We think its your fault too."
    I was flattered!!!
    The best thing is, I dont have to haul my drums to practice. (Oblivious never has practice at my house, and i have to haul around drums.)
    Well, i might have to quit oblivious. Jordan and mark are bros to me, but Jay is still the same ass**** hes always been to me. I dont like it either. They make me Haul my drums to practice, The bassist has a small 25 watt practice amp. ( I have to haul my 400 watt bass amp plus my acoustic drums.. to the shows! :mad:)
    The guitarist has a...2x12 amp. Its portable. The lead singer doesn't have jack crap. Well a 20 dollar Karioki mic. Plus hes not a good singer.
    On with this new band. Currently they have no name, but we are gonna come up with one friday night. The guitarist has a full studio. We get to switch around instruments, cause everyone can play different Instruments in the band. The bassist can play more than root, very well. Hes very Melodic. We record the practices. We have an excellent singer!!! I gotta say, she can hold a note longer than Manyard from TOOL. Its all originals. We might do 1 or 2 covers a practice, but mostly originals. I know these guys are completely honest too. Unlike Jay(lead singer of oblivious.. who has a shoplifting habbit)
    Well Jay was talking to us sunday and told us that he didn't want us playing in other bands. Because it was like "we are cheating on him."
    I dunno, I guess hes OBLIVIOUS to the fact that hes a douche bag.
  2. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    If you don't need the cash from the other band, it sounds like a pretty obvious decision to me. If the two guys you like in your current band are really your friends, you will stay friends whether or not you play in a band with them.

Another point, if you were really happy witht he band you are in now, you wouldn't have been looking around and trying out with other bands...

Just my 2 cents...

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I say go with the new band buy stay in the old one until you are sure that the new one will work out, then leave the old one then. It will keep your bases covered, so to speak.
  4. Are these kids in the old band the ones in that haunted picture you have in Off topic? If so I say leave them, white kids with afro's scare me, especially if they play guitar.
  5. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

That white kid with the afro.. Jordan... is one of the best damn guitarist ive ever heard. Hes 14 and he knows more theory than most people 30 years older than he is. That have been playing guitar since they were 12.

Hes been playing all his life. Wow hes good. He never misses a lick either.

Thats the only reason i dont wanna leave oblivious, is my best friend Jordan is the guitarist. But Im gonna be the drummer on his jazz solo cd. Im gonna do latin Percussion on it too soooo..bah!
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I say go with the new band...besides, Ska is a load of fun! :D
  7. Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Oh, wherever there is ska involved, go for it. Ska rules all. And yeah... your fellow bandmates matter too. :D They sound cooler than most of your old ones.
  8. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

I talked to Jordan today(guitarist). Jay owes him....50 bucks .....for shows. Then Jay borrowed 10 from Jordan to take a girl to the movies.
    What makes me mad is, Jordan is being stepped on, because hes the youngest one in the band. Mark, is an okay bass player, he doesn't know how to slap, or pop. He doesn't know any theory. He has a rogue and a 20 watt amp, that he thinks is 50 watts. The speaker says "50 watts" the amp says "20 watts".........whatever.....
    Well the Good side of things!
    IM talking Jordan into quiting, and getting a guy named Jordan Garrison to play bass, He used to jam with North Mississippi Allstars when Chris was still in DDT, before Chris was playing with them. (Im not even sure if they were NMA yet.. I dont know the exact history of the band. My brother just went to school with them.)
    We are gonna start a Jazz Quartet with a piano player. We are just gonna jam once and a while.. mostly on saturday mornings.. that will free me up to do shows with lmy new ska band!
    The Final straw though was me taking my drums.. and MY BASS AMP...(1 15, but about 3 feet high, its old.) To a show.. for someone else to play it. If he wanted it, he should have brought it ..himself.

So I am going with ska band... But Im gonna jam with jordan and jordan and the piano player we find.
  9. hey fellow Talena lover...
    I say do the solo jazz cd with Jordan and go with the new band. That way you can be still play with your friend and great quitarist jordan and be in a band that is more what you would be happy in, not to mention more likely to make you money.

(if the singer can hold a note longer than Maynard that is cool and you should take advantage of the chance to be in the same band)

Just my thoughts ,but are my thoughts more than just thoughts . . . . . . .

10. Maybe, but still, an afro on a white guy, that hasnt been pulled since Jimi hendrix's band, (even though I see it done all the time) It still scares me. You dont know what could be hiding in there. One night during a gig a bat or a cat might pop out of there, jump on your bass, cause you to fall backwards onto the drum set, knocking the set over then a fight would ensue between you and the drummer. Its scary stuff man you gotta think about it.