Time to drop a dime on our cd manufacturer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My patience has run out and this is the first step in action we're going to have to take. I'll try and do this as briefly and accurately as possible:

Early Oct. we order 1000 cds. 2 weeks later we get a deal with Heyday Records and call the cd manufacturers to see if they can stop the presses and put the Heyday Label on. No problem but we probably won't get the CD by Nov. 10th, our CD release party. We tell him we'll get back to him. We get back to him, tell him we decided we're going to go with the new cd anyhow, tell him we're sending the artwork, all is confirmed by both me and my guitarist - everything is cool. We keep contact with the guy - he sticks to an expected date of arrival - ON ONE OF THE DAYS THAT WE CALLED HIM AND HE TOLD US ABOUT 2 MORE WEEKS - the cds arrive on my guitarists porch.

One problem - no heyday label. We call, tell them they screwed up - they don't want to take responsibility. They say that our artist only uploaded the new files, but never emailed them saying she did so (which they never told us we had to do) and they therefore didn't know we sent them the new artwork. It was NONE THE LESS on their server, and all was agreed to over the phone. Fast forward a few days - theysay they'll take half responsibility and redo 500 of the cds. We reluctantly agree. Send them back. That was around Nov. 17th.

You'll have the new cds in 2 weeks - that was the promise.

They were sent out today, they were sent out today, they were sent out today - we heard about just about every day the week after expected arrival.

Then - they say our cd delivery truck got into an accident and packages were damaged. We need to find out if yours were damaged. Days later - of course - yes - yours were damaged. You'll have them in 2 weeks. 2 weeks pass, the same game begins. We ask for tracking numbers, "Uhh, we didn't use UPS, we used some other company (that I forgot the name of). Our Heyday guy used to work for that company, so he calls and asks for routing number. They say they'll email it to him. Never do. He calls again and the guy says, ohhh no, we used another company - and makes up a company name.

It goes on and on. We threaten legal action. He tells us the cd's will be on our porch tomorrow. That was 2 weeks ago. About 6 more calls. He says they're going UPS this time, and promises to email a routing number. Never does. Hangs up on us and tells us he never wants to work with us again. The guy who recommended him to us does lots of business with the guy - he calls. He promised we'd have the cd last monday.

They lie, they suck, and you should tell everyone you know to steer as clear as you possibly can from this place.

I'm going to push our record company to try and get us on judge judy with this and turn a negative into a positive.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Suck 'em dry. They pulled some bad busiiness, you guys need your money, and your cd's.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. Take 'em to court. Sometimes a quick phone call from an attorney is all it takes, and it'll never have to go to court. If that doesn't work though, force 'em to show up.
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I am guessing they have financial issues and won't be in business much longer. Just a guess. Good luck. It is amazing the desparity between good buisness practices and poor ones.