1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time to give up the Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bpclay1, Apr 15, 2015.

1. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    I've just come to a crossroads after picking up my Warwick corvette fretless for the first time in a while. I'm starting to think it's not the right bass for me...

I play a peavey t40 in my "funk" band, and my bass that suits me perfectly is an aria pro ii Thor sound. I love them both for what they're for. The Warwick doesn't fulfill me like it used to. At first I was all about getting the cleanest tone possible, hence the fretless. I'm running flat wounds, and it just doesn't give me that aggressive sound I look for these days.

The pro is that the neck and string spacing feels really great to me. Can someone help convince me to trade it in for something better? Or convince me to keep it in case I need that smooth clean sound? Part of me even wonders if I should consider trading it for an old west German fretted corvette.

Attached Files:

2. Mod it!

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Maybe find a fretted neck 4 it.

Osztertag2112 likes this.
  4. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Now those are ideas...

One thing I'm concerned about is the pop I get when slapping or playing too hard. Even after lowering the pick ups way down... Could it be the fretless neck or is it the strings hitting the pickups?

5. I'm not sure what you are expecting by slapping on a fretless....seems a little out of scope. Have you tried rounds? You will get more mwahhh out of it. The fretboard won't need to be resurfaced for years.

Imaginary Pony and Doctor J like this.
  6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Roundwounds would give you more aggressive sound indeed! then put some good active preamp in the control cavity and you are ready to go. Active Warwicks are pretty aggressive sounding basses to my ears! :)

Osztertag2112 likes this.
  7. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Yep, roundwounds are the answer. Warwicks are born with an aggressive, growly tone. Putting flats on it is like dressing a pitbull in a knitted pullover with daisies and unicorns all over it.

P. Aaron and Imaginary Pony like this.
  8. Imaginary Pony

Imaginary Pony

Aug 29, 2014
    Why are you slapping on a fretless bass?
    I know it *can* be done, but that doesn't mean you *have* to do it.
    If you don't want your Corvette any more, send it to me, and I will dispose of it ecologically for you, for a small cost...:D

9. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Yeah I guess I'm not too worried about the finish. I was thinking about trying half rounds first, is it even worth it? Is the damage round wounds do cosmetic, or does it effect the playability?

I do love the Warwick, I just play really aggressively, and I'm afraid I'll never get the sound I'm after from the fretless. I think I'll check if that pawn shop still has the German fretted corvette, from what I've read the German made seem to be better or more valuable. Is that true?

10. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    And I don't have to slap, but I do have to play really hard.

I appreciate your offer pony, but I've already got a guy for that, haha

11. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I love to slap on a fretless. With flats. It really does become a percussion instrument, which can work really well.

12. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Are you sure the Warwick you have isn't German? I have the exact same bass and it's German made. With rounds this bass has no shortage of aggressive tones. I don't slap much on it but with rounds it sounds great. Your left hand technique is the most important factor when it comes to fingerboard wear. Don't press down too hard and don't bend the strings, use vibrato. My fretless corvette is often my one and only bass I use at my rock band gigs. I've had people not notice I was using a fretless until I pulled a classic fretless move or they actually looked at my fingerboard and saw the absence of frets. Don't ditch your bass just yet ;)

13. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Send in the serial number (back side of the head) to the WW website and they will tell you if it was made there and what year and month it was made. That bass needs cleaning! Clean it with some good 100 grit paper and some cleaner (website gives all that info as different basses have a different needs). Keep sanding and cleaning the body down using 400 grit, then 600 grit paper. Clean your neck with Howards Feed N' Wax several times. If you like the original finish try some Danish Oil (comes in 5 or 6 colors) Put on some new rounds and rock away. And be looking for either a good trade for an old German-made fretted bass or get a new fretted neck for yours. Here's a nice hint for funk. Get a GK Fusion amp - any will do. Set your bass on passive, set the contour to max, and set the gain to max. Adjust volume to taste. Slap all you want. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you will hear.

14. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I have half rounds on my fretless and I like the tone but they sound like flats so I think you would probably like the rounds more for what you are after.

15. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yes, thats a german made fully passive warwick corvette std. fretless bubinga 4 indeed.

16. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    I've been reading, I thought they were made in Korea after the 80s? My serial number, last two digits are 05, as in 2005? The fretted one I found for 600 was made in 98... Which is Korean as well?

I just don't know any more... Now I'm looking at this musicman sub 4... You guys have got me worried should try some new strings before I do anything I'll regret

17. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    GHS Brite Flats are the answer to a bright tone without chewing up your board and yes, round wounds will chew up your board.

18. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Very good, your bass is a 2005 german made Warwick. The korean pro series std. line was introduced around 2010.

19. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks, sorry I was not remembering correctly. I'm still not convinced about keeping the fretless, I just don't think it's for me anymore. Now I'm torn between brightening it up with those strings, trading it for the 98 fretted, and now I'm looking into the musicman sub 4... Though I'm afraid it's going to be just another really aggressive sounding bass like my others

20. Q440

Q440

Jun 29, 2008
    Anymore, I do not advise selling instruments. If you can afford to, keep it until you find a suitable use for it. But, if it does not inspire you any longer, maybe that is your reason to part with it.