Time to go for the Roscoe Beck 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Jun 28, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Ive been following the posts about the production issues with the Fender RB4, including intonation and other things. Im wondering if there will be some point at which it makes sense to dive in and buy one with some confidence in this product.

I suspect I would buy one from a local Fender retailer, since there would be logistical issues with buying from a musiciansfriend type mail order (besides wanting to support the local shops) if there were a problem. On the other hand, you're average shop requires a nonrefundable deposit or full pre payment for a special order bass. So its important to hear any feedback from recent purchasers. I am especially interested to know of players who can compare the RB4 with the good old RB5 in terms of sound and overall quality of build.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Why not just go for the 5?

The horror stories about ordering the 4 here (and there are a few) have me spooked, and I'm a big fan of Beck and his instrument design.
  3. catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    Hmmm maybe I'll just go grab the one hanging in my favorite shop then.... seriously the other thread in which a fella mantioned that his arrived after 14 months would scare me..... Oh and it's a five. and priced fairly well too.
  4. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Its not a question of one or the other! I already own a sweet shoreline gold RB5...thats one reason i would like to own a four string version, if quality is comparable. I would have to add that a used RB5 (say $800 or less) is one of the best bargains in bassdom