Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to go Wireless?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chbecker, Jun 20, 2001.

1. I am looking for a Wireless that doesn't kill the bass freqs and has a reasonable range. I have heard that Shure makes a nice product and my trumpet player suggested Nady brand.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I didnt like the shure. I tried the Shure Guitarist UHF and found it was cheap plastic quality and tinny sound. To stay in the same price range I ended up with the Audio-Technica UHF Wireless system. Its made of metal, is rackmountable and keeps your sound extremely accurate. PS: I also tried a Samson unit and it really sucked. I recommend the Audio-Technica.

3. i've got a Thomson set with 2 antenna's i've tested it up to 15m and the sound is great.. it's about 150 dollar

4. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    You just need to make sure you buy something with the range to go to 30 Hz for a five-string and 40 Hz for a four-string. If it doesn't go down that far, don't get it for bass. All wireless units have specs for the range, you just need to find them on the net somewhere. The shure guitarist does go down in that range, but an earlier user says it colored his tone, and that's the other problem with wireless units...Very few are clear. I went to Audio-Technica's website and couldn't find a wireless with a range under 100 Hz, so your low end is gonna have to be compensated for (probably with no luck). Sennheiser evolution goes down to 60 Hz which is closer, but it isn't as good as a chord...which brings me to my last point. Use a chord!!!!!Wireless units are expenive, have a tendency to be fragile, and most of the time eat batteries like there going out of style. Take the $300 that you would spend on the wireless and buy something that will improve your tone, and buy a longer, better chord like a monster cable. I know that they are a really really cool toy, but until you play stadiums...that's all they are...a cool toy.
    cam

5. I see your point. If I want the sound like I am playing with the cord, I should use one. I move around too much when I play and my cord gets all balled up. I use a Monster Bass cable. sure, it sounds fine, but I feel like I have to be thinking about the stupid cable while playing and that is not what I want to be thinking about. Anyway, that is my motivation here.

Has anyone checked out the Nady XR-61? It says that it goes all the way down to 25 Hz.

6. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I agree that the monster cable doesn't wrap up nice and that's the only thing wrong with it. If it bothers you so much, get a spectraflex type wire (braided cable). They fold up much better and they sound just about as good as the monster cables. I use my monster to go from my effects to my amp and my spectraflex to go from the bass to the effects. I hate how the monster folds up but they sound good though. Make sure before you buy a wireless, you always end up not liking them as much as you would think.
    cam

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Thats an interesting note about Hz and the various units. I'm not a technically minded guy, I just try things and see what I like. I am wondering if there are other factors that determine the dynamic range of a wireless unit outside of how low the Hz goes. I would bet that there are.

8. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I had the Shure "Guitarist" and liked it - maybe the german ones are better.

But I sold it recently and got an AKG Wireless, which is a LOT better - great tone, natural sounding, for up to 100 Meters, and goes down to 20hz I believe (... JT ? )

David

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Shure UHF Dual-Diversity units ("Access" at GC) are about $350, and go down to 20 hz. I got rid of my old Shure VHF, which wasn't adequate, and got the UHF. Mine works bitchen. It doesn't sound "tinny" at all.