Time to go?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fourstr00, Mar 6, 2003.

1. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    This seems to be a popular topic on this board, but I'm going to try it anyway.

I've been playing with a hard rock band for almost two years now. Covers and originals, "our band is gonna make it" mentality. We run the gamut on gigs, some excellent, some not, but we're still booked through June with double-header weekends.

Drugs have always been present in the band (I don't partake), and it never bothered me. Egos have always been STRONG, and it never bothered me before. But recently, I think I've had all I can take. The band auditioned a DJ after our CD release party, and I'm now pretty sure this isn't the direction I want to take musically.

Recently, I ran into a girl and her boyfriend in need of a bassist. Great stuff; kind of like Incubus meets George Clinton. In two months, we've written 15 songs, as opposed to my other band's three in my entire tenure.

What do I do now? Talent is about the same in either band, but do I give up the steady work to start over with a new band (the hard rock band is not THAT big)? Are less egos and drugs worth the transition? How should I approach this?
  2. You're 20, you're in Chicagoland, so there's plenty of opportunities for work, and your new band sounds better than your old one. I think you know what to do--leave and let those deluded, lazy idiots find some other sucker.

I personally would have checked out of the old band if weed or alcohol were being used at performances/rehearsals, let alone harder drugs.
  3. Less ego, less drugs, more creative output. JUMP! JUMP!

Really, the reason why I joined my band is because of the lack of big egos, good creativity and I enjoy playing every damn song, every damn time.
  4. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    yeah, but how do I approach this? I've never left a band for such a relatively subtle reason.

I don't want to screw these guys. I guess I could offer to train the new guy on the parts, and play with them until the new bassist is ready. Any suggestions?
  5. I dunno...to me, the direction of the band and your happiness is not a subtle issue.

I would agree that the right thing to do would be to help them find a new bass player and teach him the parts. Since you're not in any rush to leave, set a reasonable timeframe and take it from there.

I would recommend you go with your gut feelings and follow it through, starting now and never looking back. Otherwise this'll turn into something that will cause you to lose lots of sleep.
  6. Simple, tell them that you've been offered another gig and that you are going to take it. Just be nice about it. If they have gigs booked tell them that the last gig you can play with them is on a certain date making sure to give them some time to find a replacement and still honor commitments. Offering to train the new guy is your call but certainly not necessary.
  7. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Everybody, thanks for your advise on this subject. I guess I was just being pig-headed; change isn't really easy. I think I knew what to do before I even posted.
  8. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I'd just thought I'd point out that you said the band is heading in a direction you don't think you want to go in by adding a DJ. I think not having a similar musical vision is a great reason to leave a band. You don't have to have the exact same vision, but you have to share some amount of it.

I think you should do what everyone else is said: set a departure date and honor the gigs till then.

I wouldn't offer to train the new guy, since you a have a CD he can learn your parts from that if he wants. Personally, if I was going to join a band and was told the old bass player would teach me my parts I'd tell them if they want the old bass parts they should keep the old bass player. I prefer to write my own parts, but that may just be me.
  9. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Tell them how you feel....you have a problem with drug useage and ego's and the creative direction of the band. The other members will have to face changing their ways or you will have to make a change. Life is too short not to be getting happiness in making music and money isn't the only thing in life. And if your right about your new band members talents, you will be back making dollars playing while enjoying the music all in a positive environment. Seems like a an easy decision.;)
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You say, "A DJ? What's up with that? I'm outta here!"
  11. When I saw the word DJ i also cringed.... Obviously these guy's don't even know what music really is.... I used to use drug's.. If you find that they can control their drug life and keep it seperate from ......

The other band just sounds so much better,... More creative flow... Sounds like nicer people, no ego trips.... 15 songs instead of 3.... It seems that the Incubus-like band has a better hand then the druggy-metal band....
  12. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Yeah, I think the DJ was the final straw for me, too. I used to play in jazz combos, and I still do Irish music with ESB. I just don't listen to that many DJ bands.

It seems whenever you have a "novelty" instrument, such as a DJ *shudder*, a horn section, or the violin with ESB, a band tends to show that instrument's strenghts, while the rest of the band kind of follows along. I realize this is not true in every case, but I don't really want to find out what kind of line goes with "wicka-wicka...."

Interesting side note to this whole episode; as I said, the drummer and singer were dating. Got a call last night from the singer saying that they had broken up! While obviously still a personal issue, we had a new drummer in the fold for today's practice, and he's just as much of a dynamo. Sometimes fortune smiles...
  13. Can I have your old drummer? Please?!? :D
  14. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Not a prob. I'll ship em UPS. He's a little young, but he should be a BAD CAT in about 4 years.