time to graduate from the p-bass...help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billybo, Nov 19, 2002.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i got the p bass packge last year for 3 hundred...im now lookin to get the fender active jazz bass 5 string....is that a good bass...or what other 5 string bass should i get in that price range under600..??i have a fender squier p bass now...
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You might get more answers if yiou posted this in the "Basses" folder.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    yeah, let's go over to Basses.......

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, now that we're here, I think you're on the right track. The combination of the J's versatile tone and five strings will increase your enthusiasm and lead you to better playing. I'd say, "Go for it, with all due speed!"
  5. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    You don't understand. You see, to graduate from the 4-string P-bass you need to move onto the 3-string triangle bass.
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    i dont think graduate was a good choice of words. but, hey, whatever makes you happy.
  7. I couldn't imagine being without a P. Mine is my main player. Since it is a Squier, get a better P bass, but one should always have a P in the harem. Get the Jazz too.

One deity I can understand. But one bass? That simply isn't generous.

8. Nothing wrong with you choices in basses. Be aware that some people never really feel comfortable with that extra string. Keep your p bass just in case.:D
  9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    the general consensus advice (my version of it anyway):

1) You're better off going used

2) Lakland 55-01 Skyline 5 string

3) MTD Kingston 5 String

4) Used fender 5 string Jazz or P (american)

5) Used G&L 2500

6) Used Musicman Stingray 5 (this will be a stretch)
  10. I agree, though I haven't played the Lakland or G&L. You could probably get a good American Jazz 5 used in that range. The Musicman will be a definite stretch.

Also regarding the MTDs, you might be able to locate a used MTD Beast or Grendel 5 string. I like them because they are Czech Republic made. The difference between the two is the Grendel has active electronics and flamed finishes. The Beasts are passive and solid color.

You might also want to try a used Carvin B5 or LB75.:cool:
  11. FYI - the Kingstons are Korean made, in case you didn't know.

I've not tried one, but am considering a fretless 5 one. I've heard a lot of good things about them, and based on my interaction with Mike Tobias, he's not about to let a garbage product tarnish the MTD name, regardless of where it's made.
  12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    You are very close to a Skyline 55-01 at about $700. This will rock the socks off of most anything in its price range, certainly anything Fender has to offer.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

Waaaaaallll, I dunno. My Jazz V FMT is on par, tone-wise, with my Lakland 55-94. They each have a slightly different sound, but I can't say that the (real) Lakland is noticeably better.