1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time to have to choose college.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by moresbum, Apr 21, 2010.

1. moresbum

moresbum Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Dear Folks.

I passed audition of Berklee and CCNY and received $1,400 scholarship from berklee.
    It's time to choose one college.

As for CCNY, I can listen to Top of current jazz scene EVERY NIGHT because there are Vanguard, blue note, jazz standard, smalls, bird land 55bar and so on..... And NYC is always my dream city because of not only music but also every aspects (I love everything of NYC such as atmosphere, skyscraper and even Smell!!!.

As for Berklee, One of the GREATEST jazz college in the world.
    I heard that there are VERY good education programs and SOOOO many colleagues that dream of playing in NY ,yes, same as mine..

So It seems that CCNY have my "dream" but don't have as good education programs or as many colleague as berklee.

After graduation, My purpose is to play and live in NYC.
    What is better for me? Please let me know.

2. Based on this, CCNY.

3. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    The only way you are going to succeed in NY, or anywhere for that matter, is to get the best education, and be the best player possible. Of course, contacts and connections are also of top priority. If I were in your shoes, I would probably lean towards Berkeley. Cost of living will be lower in Boston, the curriculum is tried and tested, and you will no doubt form many friendships that will lead to opportunities. All that being said, the quality of the teacher is most important. Who will your mentor be at each school? What successful students have they turned out? These type of questions.
    At one point, I was trying to weigh Boston Conservatory, VS mahattan school of music. I ended up going to Arizona State because it had a great teachers, and gave me a tuition waiver!

4. doberman

doberman

Sep 16, 2009
    Maryland
    the only way to play and live in new york, is to play and live in new york.

there is a lot more interesting music coming out of new york than boston as well...but both have their good and bad.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Have you visited both schools? Taken a lesson with any of the professors?

6. you should go to CCNY, provided you really want to work with their teacher. i would value playing/living experience in new york above a degree from berklee.

7. moresbum

moresbum Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Thanks to all response. Yes, I've been to both school.
    About inside of School (such as colleague, enviroment, and class) , I prefer Berklee than CCNY. But outside of school, since CCNY is in NYC, I prefer CCNY than Berklee.
    wow......

8. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I still say that the most important focus is on the education you will receive. There are plenty of berklee grads who are successful NYC musicians! Find the best teacher, and get the best ed that you can, don't worry about the career afterwards, or the location.

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I'm not sure I entirely agree. If I could extrapolate, I'd say go with the teacher, not the "education". In my experience, once you have the appropriate skills, then in pretty much only matters who you know.