Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to inflate the ol' egos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I just did a seach, so I know there's no thread like this since something in the style of '01. Meaning we're due for another:

What's the best/your favorite compliment you've recieved for your bass playing?

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    "HOLY S**T THEY HAVE A GIRL BASSIST?!?!" :spit:
    Edit: I'm pretty like that ;) :hyper:

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't recall ever really being complimented on my playing. Not many people ever hear me play, anyway.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    "You didn't **** it up that time!"

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A guy that I really respected, and was heavily influenced by, telling me 'You know what? My Dad is right. You are the best bassplayer I have ever heard.' This was when we were both in our late twenties, playing music at his Dad's church. I was floored. I personally didn't think I could touch him on the bass.

This guy is a freaking musical genius, almost a prodigy. He is a great vocalist, and plays bass, drums, piano, organ, guitar, keyboards, trumpet, sax, banjo, and probably a lot of instruments I don't know about. He has never had a lesson in his life, and plays drums, piano and bass better than anybody that I (personally)know. Hand him an instrument, show him a thing or two, and in a few minutes he is competent. In a few weeks, he is better than the person who showed him a thing or two. In a few months, he is better than anybody around. He plays piano and is the music minister at a mega church in Atlanta.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh. Well, I have heard that one before. :D

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    "Hey, Dude, you are really. . . . loud!"

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    This was in my friend's online blog, and it is talking about my solo at the school talent show:

"The talent show was pretty cool, Nick and Christian ROCKED LIKE WHOA. Rocked my socks man. There werent that many other people had that much talent at the show....there were maybe like 3 or 4 other acts that were good....."

9. Commenting to someone else: "Hey, he's pretty good"

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I got silent compliment when a chick sat on my amp, when I was playing, and she just got this huge smile across her face. :p

Verbally, it was when after my second gig of the day with my new band, the drummer came up to me and said "Things sound so much better with you." Needless to say, I was invitied to become a permanent member of that band, which I accpeted, and to this day(one month later) I hold down the low end for them.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    "He's no Harvey Keitel, but he gets the job done."

12. Some that i don't take notice of just from friends and chicks that hang out in the shed that my mates jam in saying im good. But they don't know much about playing so i just brush it off :smug:

But i've just started taking lessons with a guy called Rocket from the aussie band spencer tracy....
    *we play and jam for a bit and things going well*
    Him- "So, how long have u been playing?"
    Me- "6 months.."
    Him- "**** dude, your gonna be a kick ass bassist!" :bassist:

I don't know if he was just being friendly but i was stoked and it may feel pretty damn good... but after all.... im just the bassist ;)

Peace,
    Chips :bassist:

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    "Yeah man, you were playin' bass right? yeah, you were the bom bom baom bom bom bum. Yeah man, that was phat, man you were tight."

14. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

From a bassist in a friend's band who I viewed as being completely superior to me:

"That was ****ing amazing! Can you show me your technique?"

15. Last week at a large music conference I was in a situation where myself and an insanely talented drummer were interrupting each other to compliment each other.

He was techincally brilliant with ooodles of groove. He told me in his Swedish accent, "You were really groovin man". That was cool, and later that day I overheard our guitarist being told that we played really tight. I always get pretty happy when receiving confirmation of tightness.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This week I was invited to play with two pairs of people who were wanting to make a gigging band.

The five of us played well(ish) together. But the personalities didn't mesh well, so no five piece with these people. But( and this is the cool part) both pairs wanted to keep me.

It could have been good. Guitar and keys were both pretty awesome musicians. Unfortunately they were abrasive people. Drums was an old friend and vox was a friend of his. They were easygoing, but frankly less talented.

But they all loved me. :bassist:

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

:D

I had a drummer who is going to be the worlds greatest drummer some day (well maybe not, but he's 17 and he's sure better than Danny Carey :D ) tell me he didn't want to play with any other bass player ever.

But my favorite is when I played a "show" in high school, and my rockstarness caused a girl who was gorgeous and I had the hots for to be all swoony over me. :D I was too chicken to ask her out though, why? I don't know.

:bag: <---- Me.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A guitarist and bassist from a band that finished their set before mine were sitting and listening to our band. I just happenned to be zeroing in on them that moment.

The guitarist turned to the bassist, mimed a two-finger pizzicato motion and then did a thumbs up. The bass guy nodded. It only lasted a couple os seconds, but it spoke volumes.

In the end we did the standard post gig meet and greet thing and the guy shook my hand and I could tell he was genuinely impressed...

Oh, and once our lead singer was takling to a woman who described me as "killer bass player". I shoulda gotten her phone number...:(

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

"takling" was the singer tackling a woman?

:bag: Sorry, had to do it and you know why. :D

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My Very Talented Guitarist Friend said " Kev you have got some really great chops" Thanks Bro.