1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time to Kiss it Goodbye...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just in case that LHC (Large Hadron Collider) does indeeed create a black hole that devors the earth, it's been nice knowing you.

(if you invert the letters in Hadron....you'd get a Large Hardon Collider. That really might create an earth eating black hole)

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Fare thee well fellow TB'ers. God speed.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Everyone said making Mark a mod would be a sign of the end the world! :D

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The Martians won't be happy with a little black hole forming next door to them. The planetary invasion begins in four hours.

[​IMG]

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Perfect time to throw a party. Where's my liquor stash...

6. I've been studying CERN and the LHC for 5 years. I know it's fun to make doomsday predictions, but these people have done their research.

The black holes being produced are so infinitesimal and exist for such a short period of time that they don't even get the chance to consume anything. They collapse in on themselves instantaneously.

Just read this, please.

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html

I don't mean to sound pretentious, and this is not meant to be hostile. Just informative.

There's as much chance of a human-created black hole engulfing the earth as there is of your keyboard eating your fingers.

(although I have heard stories... :))

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Especially since if you paid attention to what they're actually doing, no particle collisions are being done today.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's still a good community building thing :)

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Maybe I can get me wife to kiss it goodbye. I'm not flexible enough to do it myself.

10. As I said before I'm in the group that doubts any major catastrophies will occur. But this type of posting, however well intentioned, drives me nuts:

Words emphasized in bold are my editing.

The article linked states it is speculation and theory(actual verbage from the article)that nothing will happen. They haven't done it yet.

Again, I doubt the end is near, but substituting opinion for fact doesn't lend credibility.

If we insist the nutjobs(opinion) on the black hole side of the argument stick to facts, shouldn't we?

Bob

11. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    I dranked it.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm a lot more concerned with all the dark matter that Jive1 is producing in VA. That situation sounds grave!

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Eye have seened evul keybaord monstar!!!!!

[​IMG]

14. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Ptf not evening anything happening yet. Just testing firing in one direction. October 26th is the big date! Right now we either might get nothing at all XD, mini blackholes, or hey I might even get to live out my dreams of bassist/martian invader hunter XD. Just having a bit fun with the last part.

In all honesty though doubt the blackholes, if it does I'll dye my hair pink since we won't have much time to see it anywho :p.

15. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've been following this for a while now and in my opinion this is one of the most awesome experiments I've ever seen.

Next step is to build a reactor and create Dr. Manhattan.

16. meh

17. Point taken, to some extent.

I should have said black holes to be produced or theoretically produced.

However, the black hole concept in and of itself is still technically a theory, as I understand it. We can't see them or detect them in any way (although some scientists say that they've caught sound waves some 57 octaves below middle C emanating from a suspected area, but I don't see how they would detect that since incredibly little sound travels in space)

We must always be ready to accept that a theory might not be true, but as you might know the process to making a concept a law is a VERY long and hard one, and that there are few scientific laws in place to this day. Some theories, though, make so much sense that it's stupid not to use them in everyday practice. Otherwise, there would be very few things any of us would ever agree on.

Anyway, to be more to the point, I would have to delve further into precisely what theories they speak of, but it doesn't seem to me like these people would do something like what's about to be done without putting some serious consideration into it. They've put decades of work and thought into these types of machines.

18. LHC does not stand for bacon so i'm really not overly concerned. :)

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    mmmm: bacon

maybe they could fry some in one of them micro-holes.

20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    LMAO