1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time to make the move -SVT 2 Pro vs CL??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noseferatu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    For a nice sort of gritty-ish rock sound, which one??

Those are the two best examples of the sound I want.

I can afford both.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    SVT-II Pro is pretty much the SVT-CL with a graphic eq and in rack mount form. Would you rather a stand alone or rack mount? Need a switchable graphic?

3. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    I would much prefer stand alone, and the graphic is kind of unnecesary in a way, I guess.

4. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    I think you just answered your own question.

Like he said, I really think they are the same amp except for the rack mount and graphic eq.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    they're both pretty awesome, though, and i find them extremely close to the same sound. i'd take whichever you get the best deal on ;)

6. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Have you considered the Mesa 400+ ?

7. that wasn't the question :ninja:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    most bassists don't care. they just want people to buy their favorite gear no matter what their needs are.

9. To be fair, they are both stand alone :p

If you don't need the graphic EQ and the extra protection of jamming it in a rack (heck, even if you do you can get cases for the CL) then go with the CL?

Or why not check out the VR aswell?

10. doesn't the 2Pro have a drive knob which allows you to get more of that pushed tube vibe at lower volumes as well?

11. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    It does nothing a decent OD Pedal cant do (even better) :smug:

If you dig the SVT sound why not get a "real" SVT? At least the Pearl Jam Vid shows what you need. Just look at the Bassists Backline. There are SO many on the used-market in the US.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'd agree. Definitely consider checking out the VR or a vintage SVT as well. There VR is closer to the vintage in sound than the CL but only has channel volumes and not a master volume.

13. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    The svt cl is great if you want to crank at lower volumes. But it is definitely heavy, thats part of he reason im parting ways with mine. If you can deal with it its a beast. If you can crank more volume though, cant go wrong with a vr or a real blue line.