Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to make the next step. Anyone have advice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Nov 2, 2005.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Okay, well my band, which has been steady for 3 years I feel is ready to make the next step. We have a decent Demo cut. Our press kit is phenomial. We are getting LOTS of shows for sophmores. (1-2 a week, we can only play during weekends due to school). I feel is ready to take the next step up. But what is the next step up? As a band we've talked about the next step up, and honestly we can't really think of what it is.

Some of our "credentials" include
    -Winners of the Cleveland rock off (as freshmen)
    -Openers for the Moody Blues
    -Featured performers on a emmy winning show (sound of music?)
    -Produced by Gary shay (also produers Jeff Berlin)
    -4 track demo (12 track cd estimated in march)

Our band's site/myspace/pv is..
    www.eclypticmusic.com
    www.myspace.com/eclyptic
    www.purevolume.com/eclyptic

We have considered a small Tri-state tour for the summer (we are based in ohio). We are trying to get noticed on radio's, however we don't know how to go about getting noticed.

Any tips on what you guys think is next? Or if you guys even think we're ready for the next step.

Thanks in advance, if you guys couldn't guess, i play bass.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Find yourself a millionaire who believes in you enough to pay off radio stations to play your stuff. That's pretty much the only way to get on the radio.

For getting on shows, press up your demo as an album, send it off along with your press kit and video to people and agents (notice I don't consider agents people--ha ha!) you know who book shows you want to be on.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Around here, we have a radio station called triple J. It's great for upcoming bands and alternative artists. They give heaps of people a chance on their station and even have competitions and time slots for un signed, new bands etc.
    If there is something like that around you, give it a shot.
    Also send of your promo packs and other things to as many people as you can, including other bands. If you want to do a small tour, send it to bands that allready to it around your area and ask if they want an opener for their tour. That way you get noticed more in other areas, and the headlining act does most of the organising.

My band is sort of around this spot to. We havn't lost a single battle of the bands/talent quest sort of thing (entered around 8) except for one, which was the national hard rock cafe/future rock competition where we got to the semi's and we play a fair few parties etc.
    But now that in the next couple weeks, the other guys will be finished school (i've still got one more left though) we'll be sending our stuff out to other bands to try open for them, and sending our stuff to triple J and TV shows such as V and Rage (more alternative/underground stations).

4. Yeh, but no one listenis to tripple j. Not around here anyway. Not that I'd know anything.

And what's a press kit and should my band make one?

5. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    It's basically a kit of everything good your band has accomplished. It's sorta your resume. So when you go to try get a show, they can see that if these places thought we were good enough, we're probably good enough for these guys. For example, if we played at Tower City Ampetheater (which we did), then we're probably good enough to play a silly bar. And ours has our originals names, recording dates, scheduled recording dates, all previous gigs, price per show, news paper clips, certificates for winning the Cleveland rock off. And the cover is just our logo and says "And then there was one. Eclyptic" which was said in the news paper, so we used it.

6. Nice, you guys sound good. We should make a press kit: "my Mum thinks we're good." That's actually a lie because she doesn't.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Around here heaps of people (especially the 'alternative' sorts of people) listen to it.

All your bands like Grinspoon etc got started from Triple J's unearthed.