Time to Mod the SX.. Need some help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Hey guys. Well, its time.. I'm going to start modding my SX62.. A total over haul. Its going to be repainted a color called "Oh-So-Orange". Its gold metallica orange that has some pearl in it. I'll probably end up doing a black pearloid pickguard.

Where, as far as mods, I'm getting the nut replaced, new bridge and an active electronics system. What I'm wanting to do is get a battery compartment routed in the back. I was thinking of moving the jack to the side of the bass rather on top of it like it is now leaving an extra space for preamp control. Also, I'm wanting to cut the headstock down to resemble something like a fender headstock...

First of all, how much can I expect to spend to have a new jack hole, battery compartment routed, and headstock cut?? Second, are there any active preamp/pickup setups anyone would suggest? I really know nothing about newer brands of pickups so any suggestions would be great. I do want the neck pickup to stay a J pickup, but any suggests for the bridge?? Should I leave it J or look at going to something else??

Since this is a major overhaul, any other mods I should consider would be greatly appreciated!
  2. [​IMG]
    Thats the color.. You can see the gold flake under the orange.

Here is a photoshop (bad) of my idea of maybe what my bass should look like. I tossed around the idea of a MM style pickup in the bridge position, so I put it in. Obviously the color will be more "vibrant" but thats as close as I could get with photoshop.
    Any opinions?
  3. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    That color and pg combo is smokin! I also think a white pearloid would look pretty good as well. A Badass II bridge seems to be a pretty popular mod around here. Can't comment about electronics. Good luck with it.
  4. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    That looks cool.
    Its kind of like the Sterling I had a few months ago,Desert Gold.

My opinion would be to put a solid black pickguard,gloss or matte. NOT a three ply black-white-black, but SOLID black. And then use black pickguard screws. You will probably have to get the pickguard custom made, but it will look sweet believe me. Like a high dollar hot rod!
  5. Thanks.. I love that orange color.. I tried a white pearloid but didnt mesh too well for some reason..BadAss will be a must though.
  6. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah, my Sterling came with a white pearl pg and it looked ok, but too "feminine" in my opinion.

Trust me , the solid black pg will do the trick.
    You don't want to distract too much from that awesome paint color. :D
  7. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    black hardware and a mirror pickguard...<3
  8. Thanks for the opinions guys!! Personally, I think Im going to stick with the orange and black pearloid pickguard.. Now just lookin for suggestions as far as hardware.

Thanks though!
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey! It's Nino's floor!

Anyways, you're gonna change the pickup too? Good luck! :)
  10. Haha yeah, I stole his idea.

Yeah, I'm going to change the picks but dont know what I want to do yet.. I could do the stand J-J setup.. But was considering J-MM config.. Lookin for opinions on which way to go..
  11. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i personally would go with the j/mm setup. it would look hella sweet, and probably sound even sweeter :bassist: .
  12. Any suggests on brands and preamp?
  13. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    sorry, but not enough experience with that to lend out any advice... :meh:
  14. Do yourself a real favor and drop a J-Retro in there. No muss-No fuss and you'll drop guitar players at 30 paces. :D
  15. Just curious.. But what justifies the J-Retro being $315 (in black) as compaired to just going with an Aguilar OBP-3 for $139?
  16. A couple of things spring to mind...First, unless you pay extra, the Aggie is a DIY setup. You will be soldering it yourself. Even if you don't solder it yourself, you will be doing the logistical work to fit the unit and wiring in your cavity. Whether or not it will fit well or at all is anyone's guess. Second, the Retro is one of the finest engineered pieces on the planet. It's components (and battery!) are neatly mounted under the control plate and fit 99% of the time without any alteration needed. Third, the Aggie only offers fixed mid-range frequencies of 400 and 800 mhz and gain at those frequencies. The Retro has a variable midrange control so that you can tune that midrange frequency to best match your particular tastes. Third, if you use a pair of 2 prong connectors on your pups, you can take the Retro out in the time it takes to unscrew the toneplate from the body. With the Aggie, there will be some desoldering involved.

That's enough for me.
  17. Ahh, ok, that stuff I didnt realize.. I also had considered the fact of the price of having someone doing the wiring, a new control plate if I went with the Aguilar Setup, and other odds and ends.

The only think I'm looking at is I do want the battery rear mounted in a compartment and I want the 1/4 jack on the side of the bass instead of the top.. If I went with the J-Retro Deluxe, then I could do this, right?? Routing the battery compartment and drilling the whole for the side mounted 1/4 shouldnt be a big deal?

I'm curious how the J-Retro Deluxe would sound with a J/MM combo..
  18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    From experience, I will tell you that an Aguilar OBP-3 will not fit in an SX Jazz without modification. You will need to carve a little from the cavity in order to barely squeeze in the preamp module. You'll also need to whack off some wood in order to fit batteries. You can choose to use a single 9V, and it will work fine, but 18V will allow you to get more clean boost and headroom.

The Aguilar OBP-3 can have a variable midrange if you replace the DPDT switch with a 500K blend knob. But, that in itself will require you to do a side mounted jack, since finding a vol/blend pot is nearly impossible.

If you're already planning on carving up the bass (which it sounds like you are) and throwing in a battery compartment and side mounted jack, then the OBP-3 is an economical choice. I find that the OBP-3 isn't as colored as a J-retro. But the J-retro sounds so sweet in my Lakland JO4. So, if it colors the sound, it's at least a color I like. If you want a drop in installation, the J-retro is the only choice for a J bass.
  19. Yeah, I was originally considering the OBP-3 because, to be frank, its cheaper. But, if I were to have someone do the wood working, I think I may be back up to the price of a J-Retro. But, right now to be honest, I dont know if I'll have someone do the wood work. It doesnt seems like it would be too difficult and I just dont know about paying someone to do it for a $130 bass. The cutting will be done pre-repaint, so if I totally botch something up, it can be patched and painted over.

I'm not looking at coloring the sound too much.. I would just like to add some punch to the sound. Thats where I'm hoping new pickups (with the J/MM config) will help out. Honestly, with new passive pickups I may not even need a preamp to get the sound I want. But, if I'm going to dip some money in, I may as well do a preamp too. I dont want this to be a overly expensive ordeal and I'm afraid, going with the J-Retro, it'll push me over that.. Here is my price break down so far:

Paint Job - $150
    Black Pearloid Pick Guard - $28
    Aguilar OBP3 - $139.00
    Bassline Stack Series J - $78.00
    Basslne MM - $89.25
    Badass II - $80.00
    Schaller Tuners - $50
    Battery Compartment - $17.00
    Brass Nut - $3.75
    Black String Retainer - $2.55

That brings me to $637.55 which, even there, is WAY more than I had planned on spending. This doesnt include if I need someone to do the wiring, any wood working, or any misc stuff I would have to consider (screws, new strings, jack, etc..).

Hopefully I can find some better deals on some of this stuff or even used.. Problem is, I need to compile my hardware first before getting it painted because I need to route all of the holes..