Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to order strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JOME77, Oct 4, 2002.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well the Roscoe fretless is just a few weeks away from completion and I'm going to take everyones (at least the majority) advise and order some TI Jazz Flats. I've had trouble confirming that the 34" scale TI's will work on a 35" scale Roscoe. Anyone know for a fact that they will (or won't)? If the 34" scale strings won't work on a 35" scale bass, I've been unable to locate a source for 35" - 36" scale 5 string TI strings. Know of any sources?:confused:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Bruce,
    I've already tried that. They only stock 34" scale Flatwound Jazz. The 36" scale strings are 4-string Roundwound set's only. I e-mailed one of the on-line companys (Just Strings) and they suggested that I contact TI. I sent an e-mail to TI but haven't heard back yet.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thomguy @ the pit is the USA distributor for TI... ask him

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks! I found the length of the 34" scale TI strings:

TI Flats on a 34.5" scale 6 string
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just to be absolutely sure that they'll fit, you'll need to measure from where the ball anchors, up to the nut on your bass. From there you can tell if they'll fit based on the following measurements. Here are the measurements of all of the 34" scale strings: (The JR's are almost identical in length)

Total overall length:

C= 47.88"
    G= 47.38"
    D= 47.88"
    A= 48.00"
    E= 49.88"
    B= 48.38"

From the ball end to the start of the silk wrap at peg head end (vibrating length)

C=37.26""
    G=37.63"
    D=37.38"
    A=37.50"
    E=37.75"
    B=36.88"

There's about 3/4 of an inch of silk at the ball end and over a foot of silk wrap at the top. In a pinch, you can shave off about 3/4" to 1" of silk at the top before the first taper starts.

Add approx. 2 inches to the vibrating length regarding the 36" scale set and minus 2 inches to for the 32" scale set. Of course currently those SKU's are only available in 4 string sets.

I hope this helps. Feel free to call or email directly for further clarification or of course, post here.

Best regards,
    Kevin Reynolds
    Connolly & Co.
    Exclusive Importers of Thomastik-Infeld Strings
    1-800-644-5268
    kevinr@connollyandco.com

I'll measure my bass when I get home!:cool: