Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to overhaul my bass...Help needed!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tendollarcat, Sep 10, 2005.

1. I was just hoping to get some advice regarding my Moses Custom Jazz bass. Overall, I love it's sound. It has a Bartolini MM passive pickup at the neck and a Custom Jazz passive Jazz pickup at the bridge. There are a couple of problems.

1) Small cracks have formed in the graphite neck beyond the bolts (at around the 21st fret). As a result, no access to play above the 19th fret is possible. Can the neck be glued to a standard that this fret access will be restored? Any recommendations? Should I go the whole hog and buy a new neck?

2) The pots adjusting volume to the pickups are not at all reliable. By turning the MM pickup to full, I lose nearly all volume. I also find that the Jazz pickup has little impact on my tone overall. Can anyone recommend a good passive jazz pickup with a bit more zing? I've got the most awesome round bottom end with this bass, should I look at an onboard pre-amp or a new pickup to improve the treble response when I need it? Will rewiring resolve these issues?

The core of this bass in terms of parts is awesome. Beyond the mentioned pickups, it is a Modulus body, a moses jazz neck with schaller tuners. It strings through the body and is well balanced despite the fact that it weighs a ton! My basic question is - What would you do to make this bass perfect? I know its subjective but I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.