1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

time to pay the bill

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike phillips, Apr 15, 2006.

1. me and my family went out with an old friend of mine and their family i hadn't seen in 25 years. we decided to go out for supper. well we order talk and eat. then the bill comes. i get the check to see how much our portion of the bill comes to. no mention of how much they owe or can they get the tip or anything. nothing. damn, it just makes me mad they assumed we was going to get the tab. i had enough cash to pay our part of the bill, so i had to put it on our credit card. we only use our card for extreem emergencys only. not supper. how does one assume the other party is going to pick up the tab? it felt so awkward. what do yall think? am i over reactin?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Just remember, Mike, YOU'RE NEVER TOO POOR TO AFFORD GOOD TOILET PAPER.

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Someone should have said something to them. I have a friend of mine that tries to pull that stuff, I always tell him to fork over his half.

Don't ever be shy about asking someone to pay their share of the bill, unless it was mentioned that you were going to pay for the meal before hand.

Some people. :scowl:

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd have gone up on stage and grabbed my bass out of his hands and beat him with it...

Oops...sorry, wrong thread...

There really isn't a good way to do it, except to ask your other half if she has enough cash in her purse to cover them as well...

5. now thats funny. i dont care who you are.

6. Heres how I handle it, Make sure you have enough cash on hand before getting to the restaurant in 20's , 10's, 5's and about 10 singles. I look at the bill total and hand the bill to whomever Im out with.. then say what kind of tip should WE leave, while he is looking at the bill and thinking, take out your wallet grab enough cash for half the bill and tip. Give your buddy the cash. say this should cover us. I thought the meal was fantastic. One or two things are going to happen. He will let you know his share of the bill if your portion is more than half. or if your a little over he will add less.

of course there are exceptions, as you give him your share of the money he may say, no I got it.
    You then say Thanks but thats not necessary. If he insists then say can I at least pay the tip?

Then get gifts for his kids..

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Thats nice and all... but..

Dude i just love your signuture:) best quote ever...

8. "Dude, were you going to pitch in on this?"

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They didn't even make a reach? I'd kick him under the table.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If I find myself out with someone I suspect may try on me, I let the server know when we are ordering that there will be seperate checks.

-Mike

11. what i want to know is how can someone just sit and not even question about the check. wouldnt it bother you if you just suckered someone into payin for your supper, especially when they mention a casual place not to expensive?

12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Look, if theyre rude enough to not offer to pay their half of the bill, then you can be rude and tell them how much they owe. I like how that works out :)

13. Being blunt can be hard when you've not seen someone for ages (obviously, being 18, I haven't even known anyone 25yrs let alone not seen someone for that long). If I get the bill I'll chuck in what I owe, and simply say "well that's my part covered." and leave it at that.

As I said though, tough doing something like that when you're trying to catch up on lost time with people.

Marty.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm with Marty on this. Sometimes, you've just got to be blunt. I guess it helps that whenever I go out with friends, we always get separate bills. Luckily enough, almost all of my friends have jobs, so this usually isn't an issue.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I would have just said "And your half comes to $_____"

bc