Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to pimp out my SX J, opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RoyQBiv, Mar 28, 2003.

1. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Now that I've got my SX Jazz bass in my grubby little hands, it's time to drop some new pups into it. I was expecting it to have a large enough route underneath the pickguard for me to install the Seymour Duncan Tone Circuit EQ I bought for it without any addition routing, but that's not the case. So now I need to decide two basic things:
    First, do I want to take a router (if I can find one to borrow) to my new bass? It'll all be under the pickguard, but you never know. And do I want to remove my pickguard everytime I need to replace my battery? And my second, unrelated question is do I want to turn it into a P/J? Can I get the sweet P-Bass punchy mids with the Jazz bridge growl, or do I get a bad mix of both? FYI I'm playing metal/rock/blues type stuff. Tonewise I'm looking for something that can at least approach Justin Chancellor territory but still get warm and classic. Thanks.

2. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    RE: a P/J setup I can tell you this:

with the P pup soloed, it sounds just like a Precision, and with the J pup soloed you get the Jaco sound, but with both PUPs on you get neither a Jazz or a Precision sound. It's a more scooped out sound - much less midrange than either a real Jazz or Precision bass. it's definately useable but it may not be what you are going for . . .

I'm talking about passive PUPs too, with a V/V/T setup, not a blend or switch setup.

3. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Doesn't sound like it...I like my mids.

4. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    in that case, try the Fender Original 60's Precision Bass pickup - very warm, yet clear highs and balls for days . . .

5. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I was actually thinking of a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder with a Hot Jazz, or maybe some EMG Selects. I've never really been impressed by any of the Fender pickups I've played. They sound good...but I'm not really going for a Fender sound.