Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to settle down on a rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Jan 11, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Over the past 6 or 7 years of playing somewhat seriously, I've easily been through about 10 completely different rigs... Some I would give anything to still have, and others I can't believe I kept them that long... So, I want to finally get some stuff that I can keep for a long, long time and won't have to replace.

I currently play an SVT-III Pro into a Mesa Diesel 6x10 (which has, naturally, already been sold... :p ). I am pretty satisfied with my amp, but might need more power somewhere down the line, as this only puts out 450 watts @ 4 ohms. I would like to get another Mesa M2000, or even a 400+, but tubes are always just a hassle, IMO. I tried a pre/power amp setup, and it was alright, but just not the same as a good combo. So, suggestions for a lifetime head? I play country and alt-rock.

As far as cabs go, I'd like to get just one. I'm looking at an Eden 4x10XLT, but should I go 4 or 8 ohms? I also am considering Schroeders, but don't know if they're something I can just keep forever and always have it around, just because they are somewhat new, and so this is no jab at Jorg in the even littlest bit! Mesa cabs are good, but no more Ampegs. I don't like SWR's, and Aggy's are nice but kinda high. I have around $650 to put into one right now.

Also, I need a "life-bass" as well. I want to check out a Sadowsky Metro, but I really, really wanna go back to Spectors... I'd love to get a Modulus Quantum or a MM5, though too...

So I guess, vets, what have y'all had around that's always kept up and never really let you down? I wanna get this over and done with, finally!

2. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I've come around to Alembic as "The Bass." Prior to that, I was 7 years happy with a Zon. Prior to that, I was switching instruments all over the place. If you're thinking Modulus, I'd recommend checking out Zon.

I'm still hunting for the rig part of things myself. I love the tone of the Bass 400+, but there's no way I'm going to carry one around and I don't think it would work for all styles of music.

Good luck!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I haven't been able to find any "lifetime" gear, despite years of trying. There's always something else on the horizon worth trying, and equipment comes and goes. I've just resigned myself to the fact that gear never lasts more than a few years for me before its replaced with something different.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I guess there's just no hope then. :)

As for my amp, I really like what the SVT-III Pro can do. It's got a very likeable sound and some good features, and I guess if I really needed more power, I could just run it into a power amp and still get the same sound.

But thanks to all, and good points about there just always being something different... I just want something that will last a while. I mean I go through gear every 6-9 months, and I just think that's too much. Would the Eden cab be a good match for the Ampeg, does anyone think?

5. I'll go against the grain and tell you exactly what you should do:

Lose the Ampeg SVT III and get the SVP-Pro Preamp, and a QSC PLX 1202 or 1602 power amp, bridged into 4 ohms. For cabs get the Bergantino NV610. You WILL have a thoroughly satisfying and reliable rig that has a huge rock/country sound, is very mobile, and sounds great with all basses.

ps. This modular approach allows you to taste-test preamps until you find your perfect match...perhaps it isn't Ampeg? Maybe Alembic, Demeter, or Aguilar is more your thing? But now you can just swap out the pres and still have a killer power amp that has all the power you ever need.

For Basses, and your style of music...save a little extra and get either a high end Sadowsky or pay 1/2 the price and keep it in the TB family with a sick Valenti.

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    my buddie has an svtIII pro and i have gigged with it on several occasions when we did some dual gigs. i've also had it in my shop for a while and got to experiment with it for a while. i played it through an svt 410hlf, a peavey 412tvx and a henry the 8x8. i think it's a pretty decent sounding head with a pretty good range of tones. maby a tad underpowered but good enough for most gigs with a respectable cab. i have since switched to a schroeder cab(21012) and never got to try it out with that cab. i did let him borrow it for a gig and he was very impressed at the combination. this was a very large club gig with full pa support (20k watts or so) and the sound man actually asked him to turn down which never happens with the 410hlf that he normally gigs with. i can't say enough about the schroeders. the eden is cool too. i've never gigged with one but i've heard several at various shows and they sound pretty good. you could do a lot worse.

i would spend the cash on a cab and maby upgrade the head later.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Thanks again for the input.

With the pre/power amp setup combo, I actually used to have it and didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. Maybe it was just the pre, though. I had a SansAmp RBI, and was expecting it to be the be all to end all, and that's hardly what it was, so I found out... But I liked being able to get as hella loud as I wanted, even against a loud guitarist and drummer (which do another kind EVEN exist??)... Maybe I shoulda just got another pre and kept the amp. Or never gotten rid of my M-Pulse 600! :p But there is a valid point to be made about it's power, and it'll probably come to a head at some point, but I'm alright presently with our GREAT PA support.

As far as cabs, I was actually trying to downsize a little bit. Selling my Mesa 6x10 to get a Bergie 6x10 doesn't totally make sense to me, but I do know they put out like the head cheerleader after prom... :hyper: Of course, the people I'm playing with NOW are much more helpful as far as helping me load up the Mesa and pick it up over big bumps, etc.., so a 4x10 wouldn't be all that bad. I like the idea of having 2 smaller cabs, like getting 2 Schroeders; one now, and then one later on when I get some more money. I just wanna make sure they put out the lows, though. I know Eden cabs can do lows pretty well even for being 10's, and for our style of music it's needed...

Plus, this is just until I get famous and someone to carry all my crap!!! :bassist: I can't wait to design a stadium rig- it'd be like the most fun thing ever...

Thanks again, and keep the comments up, as I'm still deciding on a few things here and there...

8. dingwallfanatic

dingwallfanatic

Jan 11, 2005
    I agree with Mo'Phat. I use an SVPro and Crown power bridged to 750 watts- works great. What I need now is a cabinet that will bring back the sound I had with my 8x10 SVT cabs in the 70s. I use an older Hartke 410XL and a Mesa 15 now and find them too cumbersome to tote around anymore so am looking for the impossible- SVT tone and punch in a lighter package.

Current gear in addition to the stuff listed above:
    SWR Redhead
    Ampeg B2
    Dingwall Z1
    G&L SB2
    Vantage ABG
    Sansamp DI
    Monster cables

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding cab(s).
    Thanks

9. You mentioned the Eden 410xlt. I had one and used it for awhile sold it. It's just about as heavy as the Berg NV610 and a lot harder to move around. The NV610 is clearly the easiest large cab to schlep around I've ever had and it's not as deep as many since it's a sealed cab. Very punchy and loud with great highs and lows. Schroeders are very loud also but don't forget they are 4ohm and if you get two you will need to have an amp that will go down to 2ohms. I don't know anything about Ampeg amps so they may already do that. But if you had a power amp like Crest, QSC, Crown, Stewart, all good choices you could easily use two of Jorg's cabs. If you go with one cab maybe get a 410 or 21012 both are huge sounding. My personal favorite is my Bergantino HT/EX 112 stack. Very light and suprisingly loud with great punch, highs, and lows. Bout' 35 lbs each too. Pretty efficient and can take oodles of power. I've got Lakland and Sadowsky basses.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    What are the specs on the Berg 6x10? And how is an Eden 4x10 more difficult to move around??? Not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't get that at all! I was looking for stuff that's more portable, that one person can handle, but still pumps out the noise. Maybe I should give a 2x112 Aggy setup another try... I really liked having 1, but just wasn't loud enough for my rock band. What's the specs on the Bergie 112's?? I may just go ahead and get a 1210 from Jorg after all, though. By the time I'd need another cab, I'd get a power/pre setup that I could afford to put money into, and that'd defintely be some sort of Crown amp pushing an Aggy pre. Maybe Demeter, who knows... I just need something I can use now stand-alone, but can add to it, and I think the Schroeders might work out well, but still want to hear about the Berg 6x10. I have a Mesa 6x10 that's over 150lbs and nigh impossible to move by myself as far as loading/unloading, so I don't want to get into that again... How much about do they run, just FMI?

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    For me, so far: my 55-94, Thunderfunk, and the Whappo Jr. I got from Adrian this past monday. Good luck in your search, bro!

12. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Hey RSB, you need to break into the largest bass store on earth and live there for a year secretly testing every piece of bass equipment ever made. It seems like you're using your brain instead of your ears to find your SOUND ;) . It doesn't matter what any of us like or use it's your ears...but...here's what I used for years, Eden WT800 and two 4 ohm 210XLTs...and later an 8ohm 410XLT bridging the WT800. How can that not be loud enough for most any gig? I liked the sound because it's a nice mix of traditional and modern tone. I like Lakland and Fodera basses and Lulls too. I think a used Lull is a great bang for the buck Jazz type bass.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Hahaha, yeah you have a very valid point. Although, I've played through and owned enough gear to be able to look back a little bit with some thinking. I don't want to get another "large" cab, like a 6x10 or 2x15 b/c that defeats the purpose of portability at any rate. Even the "smaller" versions are still huge. So that's why I was looking at getting either a Schroeder 1210 for now, or maybe even a pair of Aggy 112's. I liked the one I had, and heard that when they're set together, the sound is just amazing. Plus, the more I think about it my favorite amp was my M-Pulse 600. I liked my M2000 but it just wasn't the same. I'd like a 400+, but as fas as keeping it up goes, I just am not really into that right now. So, I think I'm going to get either a Schroeder 1210 or a pair of Aggy 112's. As far as amps go, I may yet go to a pre/power amp setup, but I need to test some out first. I like the Aggy stuff from what I've heard others do, but it's just kinda out of my range, and I really need a better bass first. Of all the basses I've played, the one that SOUNDED the best was my Spector 5. I like the aggressive tone, as compared to my Lakland and it's Barts, which just weren't really all that hot and loud. I liked my Warwick, but not the way it played. So, I guess I'll start by making my cabinet decision, then a bass, and then finally a new head. :) I'll get there some day, but you definitely hit it on the head- I just wanna try EVERYTHING out and see what's the best. From what I've played, this so far seems best to me...

14. Just to answer the question from above:

Model NV610 specifications:
    • 6-10" woofers with vented pole pieces
    • power handling - 750 watts rms
    • frequency response: 48hz - 5khz
    • sensitivity: 100db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m
    • impedance: 4 ohms
    • dimensions: 36"H x 24"W x 15"D
    • weight: 98lbs.
    • tilt-back casters

Eden D410XLT Specs
    • Speakers: EC-1060W Cast Frame
    • Tweeters: E-2700 Cast Bell
    • Crossover: 3.5KHz @ 18dB
    • Power Handling: 700W RMS
    • Frequency Response: 50Hz - 14KHz
    • Sensitivity: 106dB SPL
    • Impedance: 4-8Ω
    • Dimensions: 23”w x 27.5”h x 18.5”d
    • Weight: 98 LBS

I've owned the Mesa Diesel 6x10 and yes, it is a pain to move around because all four wheels are on the bottom and it weighs about 30 lbs more than the Berg due to all the porting and baffling. No ports/baffles in the Berg at all, the weight is just the speakers and box. As you can see, the Eden and Berg are both 98 lbs, but I like the Tilt-back action of the Berg because it rolls around like a hand truck...you can pull it up stairs and tilt it onto stages or truck beds. It's extremely mobile.

But, the two cabs sound entirely different. People have said that the Berg is the best 8x10 SVT cabinet out there. :D

Sounds like you're set on Schroeder...I say go for it.

15. Elliott

Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    I was never particularly concerned about my tone (hey, when you play a Precision, the tonal pallet is not very wide), but I have settled on the following, which gives me more tones, more flexibility, more portability, and more dependability, and plenty of volume, than anything I have had in 37 years of playing. I can't imagine changing this setup, no matter how bad the GAS gets.

G&L L2000
    Eden WT440
    Shroeder 1212.

I may be missing 10 to 15% of the remaining mojo out there, but I know I have the first 85% down.

By the way, knowledgeable people say the sound of this rig can be very much like an SVT.

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Actually the Mesa weighs in a little over 150, so that's a good 50lbs. easy less than what my 6x10 weighs. My thing is, I play lots of different venues, and just want to make sure I can hear myself on stage. We don't have in-ears yet, but are working on it, and I really, really kinda have to have a nice sound onstage. Just my personal tick, I guess. Gah! Decisions, decisions... Would you suggest a pair of Aggy 112's or a Schroeder 1210? I was thinking also, I can always add another pair or GS112's as well, if I go back to a pre/power amp setup. I saw a pic of that one time, with all the cabs set vertically, and it was just way way sweet... This is a real toughy. I'll see what's available first, and then go from there. I like a real clean, powerful sound. Not very colored which is why I liked the Mesa amps so much. The Aggys to me were pretty clear and I liked that combo a lot...

17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I run a SVTIII Pro into one of Jorg's 21012's. As Joshua said, an efficient cab will more than make up for the underpowered head.

I have no volume problems whatsoever, and the rig is compact and easily transported.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I think that's what I've settled on, actually. I don't have the money for a 21012, but I've heard the 1210 competes with a 4x10, and that's about all I need. Especially when you're going FOH, too... Plus this pair of Aggy's I was looking at have been sold, so I think this is a good sign. :)

Will keep everyone updated and probably post on the Schroeder mega-thread whenever I get mine in!

19. Just getting back...
    The NV is same weight as Xlt a but has a top handle and two fold away side handles. I'm not a big guy and I just tilt it back on my knee and tip it up in my van. Piece O Cake. Plus it's not very deep being a sealed cab and gives extra stage room, still a cab in the "bigger" category. You may like the 1210, try one out. Good luck

20. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm jumpin' in late here. After going through 30 basses, I've settled in on a pair of Lakland 55-94s, one with Barts for my Mesa 400+ rig, and one with Duncans for my Eden rig.

My advice would be get the Eden head of your choice and a pair of Eden 210XLTs. The 210XLT is simply the best sounding speaker I've ever heard. They are not light (68 lbs.?), but my old worn out back can handle them.

Duncan equipped Laklands have a very hot output, and a more agressive sound that works very well with a solid state powered amp. My 400+ is a much more agressive sounding amp (especially paired with Goliath IIIs), but the Bart equipped Lakland brings some roundness to the sound.

It's taken alot of time & $, but I've finally got my lifetime rigs and basses. Good luck.