Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

time to spare and brain on hold ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thetes, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Thetes

Thetes

Oct 29, 2000
    With time to spare and brain on hold my feets rambled me into the local music shop and I picked up and played and now have a thing for the Peavey "B-Quad 4" bass with its stereo and piezo and graphite and ... I just want to hear from other owners of this fairly radical instrument about any facet of owning one (especially what you paid for yours)

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not an owner, but tried these when they came out. It's Brian Bromberg's design, based on his arsenal of custom Knoorens. They were discontinued a while ago. (1995?) Nice playing instrument, if you can get used to the somewhat sticky Moses graphite neck. The 18V electronics were ahead of their time, and the piezos didn't sound half bad. The instrument also balanced very well and didn't slip out of my lap, thanks to the hook on the lower horn. My unscientific sampling of ebay auctions convinces me that $800 is par value for an excellent-condition BQuad4.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Great post, Chris. Just one small error: The neck was by Modulus, not Moses.

I did too own a B-Quad and I sold it to buy my Pentabuzz. The Peavey was a great instrument, but the Modulus neck just isn't for me.

Will C.:cool:

4. Thetes

Thetes

Oct 29, 2000
    the boss here in Taipei is asking US$1750 for this new/old instrument (in the showroom for a while now). I'll try to talk him down. What did they go for new?

What didn't you like about the neck? Could you be a little more specific?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Had a chance to check the Orion Blue Book today. The BQuad4 was discontinued in 1998 and has a par value of about $1200-1000 for an excellent condition specimen. If its NOS in mint condition, you should bargain for, I dunno, $1400. As far as the neck is concerned, graphite feels somewhat "sticky" compared with satin-finished wooden necks. If you do a lot of fast position changes, the stickiness of the graphite neck may impede your technique.

6. Thetes

Thetes

Oct 29, 2000
    Thanks for nailing it for me!