Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to start planning ATL Gettogether '03?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jan 23, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Okay, guys. I've got a bunch of new toys, so I figure it's time to start the ball rolling for the next Atlanta Get Together. :D Any ideas?

I'd offer to host it at my place, but that would mean a maximum attendance of about 3, so anyone want to volunteer? I figure it's time to give Hammy's family a break. ;)

Alright--DISCUSS!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee. i'm game. :D

3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I'd like to go down to that one. I'll be able to drive all the way down there this year, so keep me informed.

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I'm game. :) :cool:

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm hoping I'll be able to make it up this year. Just be sure to put up a list of what will be needed, and I'll pick something up.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'll do everything I can to make it three in a row for the Orlando contingent!

...if all goes well maybe Mrs. Gard will make a second appearance - she truly enjoyed the last one!

7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd be willing to host, though my place is not quite as spacious as Hambone's. That's the price I pay for living in the big city. I've got a good-sized backyard with a porch where we could eat and hang out, but no pool. Also, my culinary skills can't compare to those of Mr. and Mrs. Hammy, so ordering food in might be a better idea if we do it here.

My house is a 3-bedroom ranch with a big living room, so we'd have some space to spread out, but it'll be tight if there's more than 15-20 attendees. I agree that Hambone deserves a break though, so I'm game.

8. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Im there... from Pensacola.

Just say when.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gard, same deal as last time, iffin I can squink out of school for the debauchery known as TB Atlanta. We can use my car (a 94 GMC Jimmy. Room I got)

Someone wanna put a guy up for the night? I eat very little and am generally pretty agreeable.

10. N itt0

N itt0

Oct 5, 2002
    Marietta, GA
    I am there! If you all want, We can rent the clubhouse at my apartment complex. It is $50 a night I think. Nice large pool area and two really good sized rooms inside.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as yet another alternative, we here at casa turner can also host this thing - we've freed up some room since the last one, but we're still a bit cramped :D still, though, intimacy is what makes us stronger as a community. :D

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, since Muggsy's place sounds like it'd be cramped, and N itt0's clubhouse costs $$ (we are cheap bass players, after all ;)), I second Casa Turner.

It worked fine for the last one I went to there, and if he's made more room, even better!

Plus, I know I for one am sick of helping the shlub carry his basses into these things--you'd think he was a drummer the way he asks for help with his gear (actually, I was too busy moving my own gear, and they finished moving his stuff without me--I'm just bitter he hasn't made it to one of my gigs yet:D), so having it at his place would eliminate the problem of moving 125 Conklins.

Any objections?

As for hotels, we'll post some ideas once a site has been determined. I know of a couple in close proximity to John's pad.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Since I'm still relatively new here (only a few months ), could one of you please explain this whole TB get togather thing you do? not liek I'd be able to trek across tehcountry for it, btu I'm intrigued. thanx :D

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek:

so when's the next one?

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm in... Should I bring chips or beer;)?

Oh when is it?....

How many cats are going to be in on it?

How Many Bass Cats are going to need Couches, Floor, Hotel or corner of a room...etc.(accomodations)?

Send a PM and I'll research the accomodations in and around ATL for those interested.

All the best,

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    amadeus that is more than fine. the wife should be GOOD and pregnant by then. lol John, whatever help you need just call and i can do what i can. maybe some organized things this time? maybe a couple of clinics? i am up for a woodchuck, bassmonkee, JT clinic! someone pm brian barrett and see if the begantino/benevante pusherman can make it.

17. I would definitely like to be there. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. Sucked missing the second one, but the first was great.

18. I'm gonna try to make this one. You all sounded like you had a great time at the last one. Will be a heck of a trip though ;)

19. Count me in here too!!

Maybe this time, I'll actually be able to enjoy it to it's fullest. :rolleyes:

5stringdna - these Get Togethers are simply a party that thinly disguises an embarassing chop and brag fest for us bassists. We bring toys (as long as they aren't pink rubber and need batteries) and proceed to tell lies for the entire evening. Loads of fun - sort of like visiting a great "bass-only" music store and finding out they don't mind you pawing the merchandise when you don't have any money.

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's what I was thinking, too, Hammy. You have been too busy making sure everyone else is having a good time. I think you went waaaaay beyond the call of duty at the last two, so I figure it makes sense to wreck havoc on someone else's abode this time (easy to say since I live in a teeny apartment :D).

I think ordering pizza is fine, and that way everyone can enjoy themselves without having to work too hard.