Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time to sum things up...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Ok...I've had a few posts on here regarding certain basses that would be best for jazz (basses that interest me at least). I have inquired about a Warwick or a Rickenbacker...now it's time to sum things up. I have a Stingray5...and my initial plan was to string the SR5 with TI-flats and use it as my jazz bass, then buying a 4 banger Ray for the rock/funk stuff. However, my SR5 nails the Stingray sound pretty darn well, so then I was thinking about either a Warwick Corvette with flats or a Rickenbacker 4003 with flats, which both could rock out and do the jazz thing decently well. Another possible choice is a Reverend Rumblefish with flats. I've played a Corvette, but not with flats since they're strung with rounds at the shop. I've never played a Ric at all because I have yet to find one in a shop, and the same goes for the Reverend. Do you feel any of these basses would be better suited for jazz than my SR5 strung with flats or no? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

2. You can use whichever bass you want for any genre of music, but I would not pick a Ric as a choice for jazz. They're too bright and aggresive, IMHO.

I'd say your SR5, or the 4 would be about the best for jazz.

I'd never heard a Warwick until two nights ago - very thick, woody sound. I liked it. I'd pick a Warwick over a Ric for jazz.

If you want opinons on other basses, I'll offer this: A Peavey Cirrus. Very versatile, deep and focused. You could use one of these guys for just about anything. I'm thinking of getting one. For jazz, it can get a Fender Jazz bass-type sound, only with more burp.

I'm sure there are others, but the only guy I ever saw using a Ric for jazz, was Dave Brubeck's son. This was a long time ago, and the Ric sounded good. I just thought that there were a number of other basses that sound better for jazz.

Naturally, these are just my opinions.

Good luck.

Mike

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Jason Braatz, a local madison bassist (and regular here on Talk Bass) gets an incredible Jazz sound out of his Warwick Streamer 5....he can go anywhere from sounding alot like an Upright to the snappy Fender Jazz type sound

that sais, THE best bass for sounding like an Upright Bass on an electric is the Rob Allen MB-2 fretless with LaBella tapewound strings

4. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I pretty much agree with above, the rics are not the best basses for Jazz. I'm sure the S5 or 4 with flats would work great with the right EQ!

Andy

5. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Thanks, I was thinking the same thing about the Ric but I wasn't too sure. I've ruled out the Reverend too just because build time is 4-8 weeks and I don't have that long before my jazz gig. I love the woody tone Warwicks get, which makes me believe it may sound very "uprightish" with flats for the jazz gig, but I have never heard a Warwick with flats so if anyone plays one or has heard one with flats I'd appreciate their input. If all else fails i'm stringing my SR5 with flats and buying the 4 banger Ray. Now it's a contest between my SR5 and the Warwick (both strung with flats). *sigh* Decisions decisions. Anymore help out there?