Time to switch from Ernie Ball Hyrbids?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 5, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just changed the E and A string on my Stingray and I'm pleasently surprised how much brighter the newer strings are. I changed them because I felt they had become to dull sounding. Now I'm thinking maybe its time to switch to something longer lasting. I had these strings on for three months before I finally decided to dig out some new ones. Is that a reasonable amount of time? How soon should I change them? Monthly? What are some other brands that last longer and retain their brightness?

2. Patrick,

I change strings when they lose their brilliance, sound too mellow, when intonation falters, or when my bass becomes difficult to keep in tune.

Hand perspiration and dirt are the main culprits that shorten string longevity. Wipe strings down with a clean cloth after each session. If you have more acidic perspiration, wipe strings down with a 99% isopropyl alcohol.

In terms of time, some active performers need to change strings on a weekly basis. Occasional players may take months to wear out a set.

I am fond of Thomastik-Infield strings, Jazz Flats and The Power Bass Series. I have used many string brands in my career and I find this brand to last the longest and stay the brightest, for me.

Just remember to take into account (the reasons listed above) that, string changing is a preference, based on the amount of time you play, how acidic your skin is, and how often you wipe down your strings before, during and after playing.

Hope this helps.

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    During the height of my gigging carreer (currently without a band) I was changing them about every two months. I played with a pick mostly in the band but got sweaty as anything. Just needed to keep my tone nice and bright.

I find Labella Hard Rockin' Steels and Rotosounds to last nice and long. Going on seven months right now because I can't afford to restring!
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I used to change my strings really often. Minimum of once a month or before every gig. I just liked that bright zingy tone. But in the last year or so my tone taste has changed. somewhere in between bright zing and dead thump. The set of DR High Beams on there now are about five months old and they are sounding great. How often you change your strings is up to you. And like Treena said it's "a preference". If you like a new bright sound then keep them clean and change them as soon as they lose their briliance. I know some guys who don't change strings until one of them breaks. They get that funky Motown sound.