1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Time to tell the truth: how much does your bass weigh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    I see weight mentioned on here so much I'm not sure what the deal is. It's slung over one shoulder and you play it for roughly 2-3 hours depending. It's not back breaking at all and not sure what the big deal is.
    Of course, this is coming from a guy who did 25 mile road marches with a 75lb Ruck Sack...

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    When you do one gig with an 11 pound bass, and the next one with an 8.5 pound bass, believe me, you can tell the difference. But yeah, some people get crazy over it.

Goad likes this.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

At 68 years old, this matters more to me than it used to. In fact, it matters a LOT. I won't own a bass that weighs over 9 pounds. I prefer them under 8.

They may be slung over one shoulder, but that can HURT even with a wide, padded strap. I don't need to go home after a gig with shoulder and neck pains from a heavy bass. I was reminded of this last night after a 3-hour gig.

Goad likes this.
  4. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    My mustang under 6, to my Pushic-36"scale, ebony and maple at 13lbs. The rest fall in between somewhere.
    My last build, and currently my most played is an alder P bass 8lbs.15oz.
    No wonder I like this thing so much!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Pilgrim likes this.
  5. Pilgrim

I played a gig Friday using my Squier Bronco with the Gretsch 2202 pickup. Sounded GREAT, and was easy on my shoulder.

20130118_122959.

saabfender likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Great looking Mustang. Love the chrome logo (from a crate amp, right?) I've been thinking of blinging my mustang, and I have a couple of Dodge R/T badges left over. Red stripes, and that! Wow! Ooops...Bronco!

7. Pilgrim

Chrome strips are automotive striping tape. V8 emblem is from AutoZone cheapo accessory aisle.

8. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    I've got a Silver 1980 Z28 Emblem I'm going to do that with!! Cool looking mustang!

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    "Resurrected" 1965 Silvertone Model 1444 - 6 lbs. 7 oz.
    Squier VM Jaguar SS - 6 lbs. 5 oz.

10. At 72, I play as light as I can if I have to stand for any time at all. You don't wanna hear about all that's wrong with my skeleton and if I'd had known I'd last this long - well, we all know THAT story!

Sitting is somewhat different (preferred, actually) and I will always have a stool onstage for when I want to sit!

I sit a lot more nowadays! It's sit or Hydrocodone. Takes yer pick - bit I cannot be sure to play all the notes if I take the latter.

Pilgrim likes this.
  11. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    I'm at the age where if I hear something crack and I start walking different, to just say "I better start getting used to this"

gebass6 likes this.
  12. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    20180306_094000.
    9 pounds 12 ounces

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    In my younger days I carried 90 lb. bags of clay like they were nothing for my job building tennis courts. Spin ahead 45+ years and I'm paying for that now and I really appreciate lighter basses. Time is not on my side.

Goad and saabfender like this.
  14. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    94 MIM P-Bass 8lb. 12oz.
    94 MIM Jazz fretless 8lb. 8oz.

15. Pilgrim

Goad likes this.
  16. My Squier CV 50's p-bass is 10.4lb.
    Tips on making it easier on the shoulder?

17. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Distribute the weight to both sides of shoulder using Gruv Gear DuoStrap:

signatureduo01.
    gruv-gear-duostrap-signature.
    duostrap-neo-john-patitucci_1024x.