Time to upgrade...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Licketysplit, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    Greetings guys, its that time again...

I need an upgrade to much of my equipment, and my primary target for this round of upgrades is my amp (although I just upgraded to a Spector bass recently). There aren't too many music shops where I live, so I haven't gotten to try out a whole bunch of bass amps or other gear. I've got lots of questions for you guys :D

First off, I am currently running on an Ampeg, name escapes me at the moment. Its got something like 160 watts, and its a combo. It's served me reliably and faithfully for my band's coffee shop gigs and whatnot, but (thankfully) we are moving our way up to some larger gigs and 160watts isn't cutting it anymore. I have a somewhat limited budget, $1100 at most, and I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck. My band is somewhat a jam band, with a strong mix of funk, rock, and plenty of improv at times. Think Dave Matthews + RHCP + Phish. I'm telling you guys this so you can help me decide what kind of amp setup I'm going to need for a funk-rock type band.

So far, I've come up with the following pairings:

SWR Workingman 4004 bass head + Hartke Cabinet (4X10)

Carvin RL1018 Head + RL410 cab

Hartke 3500 head + Hartke Cabinet

That's the best combos, in my limited mind, that I can come up with on my own. I'm looking for a system that gives a crisp clear slap tone that "punches" you in the chest everytime you slap and pop. Also I need a sound that will cut through for most situations and something with ample headroom. I really dig the modern, super clean tone, but I would like having a somewhat versatile rig. What do you think would be best for me out of the three pairings i mentioned? As I already said, I don't know much about amps so if you guys could please convince me why to get what I would be eternally grateful :)

Also, if you guys know of anything better in a reasonably priced range, or a better way to pair up the amps I have listed please say something ;) Oh, BTW i am hearing lots of mentioning of a preamp/poweramp/cab combo any suggestions involving that setup would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or tips!!!

Keep on groovin guys...
  2. keep in mind that you could get good tone by choosing different brands for the head and cab.... just because the head and cab are made from the same company doesint mean they will sound better than another company. Also, buying used is a good way to go. You can get some good deals on stuff that is usually very expensive.