Time to whine: Internet Searches

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 29, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Please allow me to whine for a moment.

I don't know about you people, but it seems like whenever I google a subject, half of the the pages that come up are webblogs. I mean, if I'm searching for something, I want genuine information, not some teenager rambling on about something.

Okay, we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum experience. ;) :D
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Don't forget all the online stores that come up as well now. :scowl:
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I hate it when the search brings up other search engines' results for the same search.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When Google first dropped, they became so popular* because they used different search techniques than other popular search engines at the time. But, that was years ago and the other players have caught up. Now, pretty much every search engine will yield the same or very similar results, It's really more an issue of what you want to use.

Of course, Google has become synonymous with internet searching, they *own* the market, and that's not changing any time soon.

Internet searching is an interesting skill, on the one hand, it's incredibly easy to find things, but on the other hand, there are many things that it's difficult to put into words exactly what you are looking for, so it requires multiple searches, and even then it might take a long time to find it.

Oh the internet :cool:

* the other big reason was that www.google.com lead you to a search input, no fancy homepage, just search, made people feel like they weren't using the internet through a homepage filter