Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time together with the band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trist6075, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    In starting a band, how long does it take for everyone to kind of come together with everything and get on the same track? Does it depend on the people? Are the first sessions the worst and the most frusterating? What isthe bass player expected to know? Also what happends during those first few get togethers.

2. flames

flames Guest

Jun 30, 2001
    my house
    wish i could help you man but my friend is my guitarist he has worst focus than a broken teleoscope
    im goin to high school in a few months maybe ill find someone that is serious about a band
    o yea what kinda a band do you want to start

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Getting the band to gel really depends on the people. Some things that affect how long it takes;

- Does anyone in the band have prior band experience? (and I mean organized band experience). Not just someone who has jammed for a while in a garage somewhere.
    - Does anyone have formal musical knowledge?
    - Does everyone share the same musical goals, like the type of music you want to play, eventually getting gigs, et al?
    - Does everyone respect each other? Not necessarily be good buds, just have consideration for others' opinions?
    - Does everyone make practicing one of their main priorities? (both as a band and individually). Or, will they refuse to practice because Roseanne Barr is on Celebrity Boxing that night?
    - Does everyone have fairly decent gear to start out or does one of the guitarists have to rely on borrowing an amp?

IME, bands never get off the ground if at least one person doesn't emerge in a leadership role. Everyone should have a voice in decision making. But having someone step up and keep things moving along is crucial.......the type of person who will say, "What about practicing next on Tuesday at 6pm???" Otherwise, deciding when to practice can be a half hour of each person goning, "Gee, I dunno. When d'you wanna practice next???"

Knowing which songs you're gong to be doing at practice is key. Everyone should come prepared to play their parts. Figuring out how to play the indvidual parts when the band is together to practice is a waste. That's when you should be figuring out how to put the individual parts together.

Finally, everyone HAS to feel free to offer criticism without hurt feelings or pissing others off. Obviously, this means people have to know how to give it constructively and tactfully and everyone has to know how to take it without feeling it's personal.

Dealing with the personalities and continually making progress is complex at first but it gets easier as time goes on as long as the egos are left at home.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I couldn't have said it better myself, rickbass!

I'd just like to add (and reiterate a few of rickbass's points) that respecting everyone else's opinion is a very inportant one, as is having a defined "leader." Group practice is for tightening up the songs and deciding how you're going to start and/or end them, not for running through a song for the very first time! Lastly, regular meetings are important! Get together once in a while, just to shoot the breeze and see where everyone is at. If someone has a gripe or a suggestion, this is the time to bring it up! Let everyone have a say and again, respect everyone's opinion! If there's a problem, try to find a solution, don't just blow it off. Had my band done this, things may not have gotten to where they did and I'd still be gigging regularly. In the beginning, we all agreed to a monthly meeting, where we could say anything that was on our minds (as long as it was put in a way that was respectful to the other people in the band), but no one wanted to hear anything negative about themselves, so the monthly band meeting turned into a once-a-year band meeting. Not good. Not good at all.

5. very simply, i believe it rests on one thing and one thing alone... the connection you have with the other members. if that is there, everything else will fall into place. don't run the band like a boot camp.have some give in you, and beyond all, don't take it too seriously!!

6. top 1 priority if getting together for the 1st time : make good agreements..

- Take some time to get to know eachother first.
    Go drink a beer / cola / whatever with your potential bandmate's before you go on a first rehearsal.. get to know them a little, so you won't have to play with complete strangers.. this is also good for the team-spirit ;)
    - chose a song that you'll be trying to play together. just getting together and standing around all day like " well.. what shall we try now ? " sucks *** !
    - make solid agreements about what style you'll be playing. if one wants to play reggae, and another wants to play black metal.. it won't work out.. ;)
    - make good agreements on the volumes.. no ego-tripping guitarists !
    - make a 1-month trial agreement.. if you don't see improvement in 4 rehearsals.. it's probably a dead-born child.. if you're not making progress you might as well quit.. :)

the time it takes for a band to get in perfect harmony depends of the skills of the independant musicians and even more on the efford the musicians put in the band. if you've played in other bands before it usually takes shorter.. with my last band it took us 2 rehearsals to play in good harmony, but that was more because all 4 of us had played in bands before..

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    moved to misc

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The comments above all have merit and offer realistic perspectives about the formation of a new band.

Having been through the process several times myself, I can add that each new band experience will be distinct and have its own flavor. There is no ONE WAY new bands come together or even why they come together. Or why they manage to stay togteher.

Secondly, as is all too often the case, those who are at the original meetings, may not be the same ones who survive to the first gig, first recording or first Grammy award. Changes in personnel are almost guaranteed the longer the band survives.

Another very likely change is often that the band starts out for one purpose--oh, say to play Metallica and Korn covers--but evolves into original music or softer rock or classic rock or a total change like country or reggae or whatever. The evolution may take a long time or happen rather quickly if the group decides the present plan isn't working or isn't satisfying.

One common change is that the band starts out just to be a garage jam band, but as confidence and competence builds, the members may wish to attempt some gigs, even try to earn a little money.

Another thing I've learned is that if the band is eventually quite popular with the public, that success can cause great strains, too, because this is the time when the band may decide weaker members of the group will have to go in order for the band to move up to the next level. It might also mean that you will have to upgrade some of your equipment if it is unreliable or looks amateurish.

That brings us to your question...what should the bass player know when joining a new band? I say as much as you possibly can know about playing the style of music the band is interested in playing.
    Also you should have band-worthy equipment...at minimum a bass that stays in tune, a decent cable, a sound rig strong enough to be heard above drums and electric guitars and if your style demands it the appropriate effects pedals. The band may also insist that you have something to transport that equipment.

The first get together doesn't have to be frustrating. It can be a lot of fun and filled with much hope and expectation. In fact, if there is a lot of animosity and bickering at the very first meeting of a new band, I wouldn't have much optimism about its future. There's plenty of opportunity for bickering later. It will come.

Also the first meeting can just be relaxed jamming to see how the group melds, just playing familiar music or jumping right in to try something original. The main objective would be just figuring out how the band sounds together and what the band is able to do.

9. i think it really depends on your relationship with your other band members. i started a band a little over 3 months ago with some of my better freinds and we have been doing great. we have our first show in 2 weeks and another one this summer. i dont think we would be doing so well with out us being such good friends. also if anyone wants to book a punk/hardcore/screamo band in the wash. DC area email me at wildcard10408@hotmail.com