Time Travel and the "Butterfly Effect"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oliphaunt, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I've heard most of the arguments for or against backward time travel, but I was wondering one thing - wouldn't the "butterfly effect" exclude time travel into one's own past? Basically, any effect you have on the past makes a minute effect, but one that becomes large enough, after the passage time, to change the memory, and therefore the mind, of your former self, so that you are not the same exact person by the time you enter the wormhole, so you cannot have the memories you have right now and probably have not even entered the wormhole (or time travel device or flown next to the rotating cylinder, whatever you are using) at the same time and in the same manner, so you can't change the past in the exact same way, and so on.

I haven't seen anybody bring this up, and I was wondering if there was an answer to that.

I don't really buy the "restricted past" theory. It seems unlikely that everything will go perfectly so that you're unaffected.
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    it's according to what doc fuels the dilorian with.

lol i kill me.
  3. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    well, isn't backwards time travel far more feasible than accelerated forward travel? so then, you might get back there, but have to move at our relatively snail's pace on the trip to the future. so i guess you just get to live through that period of time, rather than change the past and move back forward.
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I think I'd rather travel sideways in time.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    If you go into space and fly round the world enough times, you can turn back time, and get the girl out of the earthquake. Oh no, wait that's Superman...

Time and space are in fact the same thing, in that that really there is no time, time is just a way of measuring movements through space. And if you were to take off in a rocket and fly at a fast enough speed, you could return to earth, having aged *less* than everyone on earth - time would move faster for you. Taking that idea further, if you flew even faster still, say 10 years on earth could be like 1 day for you. And if you flew even faster still, you could actually return to earth *before* you took off. At least that's my understanding. But it's all theory, cuz no-one's worked out how to travel that fast :) And I don't know what the effects would be of returning to earth before you take off, and 'changing the past'.
  6. fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    what is the dilorian? ive herd about it in several movies such as donnie darko is it some time travel ship from a book or movie?

7. The Delorian was a flopped sports car built in the 80's (?) Interesting car for the time (pardon the pun!) but sadly it flopped - only to be resurrected in the Bakc to the Future movies!
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It's the car-turned-time-machine from the Back To The Future films.
  9. fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    Actually i think the correct way of time traveling according to the guy in the wheel chairs theory (aka steven hawking) is said its done by going the speed of light threw a worm hole and basically that either puts you in the future or pass depending on the direction or the ending of the other wormhole. basically time slowes down in it meening its same to to you but, outside its extremely fast and only a few second could send you a 100 years into the future or past.
  10. Moley, I know what your talking about when it comes to accellerated future travel, and have heard that theory before, but I don't understand how doing it really fast would make you go back; wouldn't it just make you go foward faster?
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually, it's DeLorean:

Hard to believe they're back in business and selling refurbished vehicles.
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    fenderboy - wormholes are something different to what I was referring to, I believe - and they do as you say.

I'm not entirely sure, Davy, but I think that as you get faster, the time it takes for you to experience, say a day, gets smaller and smaller - like a few hours, then an hour, then a minute, then a second etc. until you go over the threshold, and it goes negative, so you'd actually be going back in time. But I'm really not sure. Next time I'm on the motorway, and there are no police or speed cameras, I'll give it a try :) Ya never know, maybe I'll be able to post the result before I've posted this... hmm, now I'm confused! :)
  13. whoa, man. i'm gonna smoke a doob and put on some floyd and think about that.
  14. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Oliphaunt's question was about how going back would change you (new experiences), so that you could never really return to the same moment you left from because you're a new(er) person. I think. I barely get the question, and have no answer.

I like to think about time travel, but I hate it in most tv shows. Once you have time travel tech, you can fix anything. It really bugs me when the time travelers are in a hurry -- you have power over time! Why are you frantically running around?!
  15. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    jondog understood it.

In response to pigpen, accelerated forward time travel has actually been proven possibly. At high speeds, you age less, so, if you were orbiting the earth very quickly, several times each day, you would experience time at a slower rate than people on the surface. Essentially, you have traveled forward in time, because what was 5 years to you (and the clocks on board, too) was 7 years or so in the world.
    A 920 kph flight for 8 hours lags your time 10 nanoseconds, so travelling 92000kph for 10 years
    would add up to 2 seconds of lag.

So in practice it's very hard to do.
  16. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    You can't get fast enough to go back in time, because you can only infinitely slow yourself. It's like the function of 1 over x squared (1/x^2) , where you can get infintessimally small, but never get to or below 0.
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmmm. Interesting thread. I guess the most important thing to consider is the ability to harness the 1.21 gigawatts necessary to power the flux capacitor. You would need Ziggy to hold the other body in the waiting room while you spoke to your hologram friend. The more power that your vessel used, the more important to convert it to a flying vessel, as not every street will have the necessary space to get up to 88 mph.

18. Using the theory of relativity, if you travel the speed of light, time stops. Going faster then that will reverse time. Because space travel isn't THAT much faster in relation to normal speeds *in relation to the speed of light*, astronauts age about the same that we do.
  19. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, it wasn't one of the better moonspell albums. i don't know what it has to do with time travel, though... ;)
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the first statement is just not what relativity says, but it has been proven by taking atomic clocks onto space missions that time does run slightly more slowly for astronauts - not anything that would make a huge difference, but it is measurable!