Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

time travel?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 20, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you could go back 100, 200, maybe FIVE HUNDRED YEARS in time, what music would you play them? who would you like to play for? and what do you think they'd think about it?

i can just imagine playing some coltrane or some yes or some flecktones for some of the monks that came up with neumation, or or for bach or haydn and say: hey guys, because of you there's stuff like this! and then watch them freak out. :D

2. You'd probably be burnt at the stake.....

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Britney.

A small Mayan village.

They would rave unto the joy fantastic.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They woudn't think of it as music - just noise!!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree with Marty.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I agree with Bruce. :)

Did I really say that?

Pkr2

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well I agree with Marty as well, but I think their first reaction (Bach or Haydn, that is) would be : aargghhhh this is noise (in German of course!!) then they woud say - this is the Devil's Music and would hand you over to the inquisition who would burn you at the stake!! ;)

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm...

What d'ya reckon would be Bach's reaction, to, say Mozart's music? Or Stravinsky's music?

I wonder what their reaction, to, say Britney's music, would be... I'm not sure if it would be "Arrghhh this is noise" or not. Even if it sounds completely different to anything they'd have heard, they'd recognize it as having musical content, I imagine. I doubt they'd like it though :D

...and you might well end up getting burned for being a Witch :D

9. I am not sure that composers like Bach or Mozart would find too much interesting in "pop" music. They might think that the tonal qualities of the instruments and how they are played are interesting...but the music itself...no.

No one in pop music today writes on a level equal with those composers when it comes to harmony and complexity.

The Western tradition of major-minor tonality has been around for over 400 hundred years. This is the same tradition that rules pop music. And there is basically nothing new harmonically. J.S. Bach would recognize all the chords in today's music, but his own palette had a lot more.

For example, when have you heard an augmented 6th chord in rock music???? I haven't. Yet Bach and Mozart used that chord and its variations all the time.

Then there is also the complexity of the organization. In a Mozart symphony, the organization of the tonal structure is very complex and logically thought out. You can have that in a rock song too, but the degree of complexity in Mozart is far ahead of any rock music I have heard.

In other words, I think both of them would find today's' music boring harmonically. The whole reason for Wagner and Debussy is that composers got bored with the ramifications of I-IV-V in major minor tonality - everything had pretty much been done.

To be fair, rock music does use different meter patterns and rhythm structures that I neither Bach nor Mozart employed. Also, although both composers set words to music, neither was a lyricist. Creating a song that has something to say is an art form in of itself. An art form that has been respected going back to the days of the minnesingers and troubadours and before (Like David in the OT).

If one goes farther back than JS Bach, I think Moley would be right, you might be burned at the stake, especially for using the triton, or the "devil" in music (augmented 4 or diminished 5th) that the ancients tried to avoid.

I also think that both composers would find more interesting things in jazz and modern classical than in rock.

I am not up on modern classical composers although some of my friends are in that group. (I am not). But to answer the question, I would want the ancients to listen to Phillip Glass, Stravinsky, and MOST importantly Bela Bartok, who for my money was one of the greatest composers of all time.

My apologies for being so long winded.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Imagine going back in the time and playing 'em West Side Story! :eek: :D

11. Bruce Lindfield

Nah!! They would hear the loud repetitive drums, horribly bright, compressed sound and distorted guitars and go : arrrgggh stop this noise!! ;)

12. Bruce,

Yeah, we are all just stating our opinions here, but while both of those composers might have thought that rock is noise, I kinda believe that Mozart would be more attracted to it.

Bach was far more religious and wrote music based on harmony that others had developed and was kinda old for its time. In fact, his son's used to make fun of the old mans "old" music.

Mozart was more inventive - perhaps the greatest musicial mind in the Western tradition. I think he might see some possibilites in rock. I only say that because he was always looking for new possibilites, as opposed to JS Bach - who was content to take what had already been developed and move it to a higher plane.

In the "Dissonant Quartet" Mozart wrote a short passage in which all notes of the chromatic scale were played once and not repeated - anticipating Schonenberg and tone rows by over 130 years. Mozart also wrote opera and JS didn't and opera is far closer to the spirit of rock music than a JS cantata.

Just MHO of course. And as Dennis Miller likes to add, "I could be wrong."

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well I don't know where you got Mozart from - the original post said Bach and Haydn]!! :confused:

14. Same time period.

Haydn would surely think that rock music is noise.

The question was rhetorical in saying that if you went back 100, 200 500 years, so I thought anyone was fair game.

15. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I'd like to go back to the 50's when people were complaining about Elvis' danceing. I'd play them some of the pop music videos! They'd have heart attacks!

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think I would let them hear something funky.. Or maybe heavy, like Dimmu Borgir or something:D