time travel...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by steve-o, Sep 4, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    who believes that time travel is possible?

acorrding to Alberts Einsteins Theory of Relativity in theory it is possible.

what do yo uthink would happen if you went back into time to kill your grandfather....is this possible?

i have the answer but i would like to see what people think

what do you think about time travel and how it would work?

2. You have the answer?

Anyway, you could build one out of a wormhole. But the most advanced physics says that the wormhole would collapse on itself as soon as you opened it. This topic is quite advanced and going into more detail would probably be pointless. This type of problem falls into the realm of quantum gravity, and that is not a very highly developed theory yet.

I don't think it is possible simply for the paradoxes that it creates. It seems to me like it would make the universe somewhat nonsensical.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Agreed - but virtually all of Quantum Mechanics makes the Universe seem somewhat nonsensical! ;)

At the quantum level, instantaneous communication is possible, which leaves the door open for what appears to be time travel - but it certainly wouldn't mean that a person could somehow travel back in time - only sub-atomic information!!
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well in theory to make a time machine.
    assume you know exactley the locations of a worm-holes two entraces. then place a very heavy, large mass at the one end of it. according to Einstien, time goes slower the more mass is present. that means that on one side of the worm-hole, the time will go slower than on the other side. when you have reached the time differnce you wish, you remove the heavy mass, and travel through the worm-hole from the other side.

and you can't kill your own grandfather if he hasn't had you parent. because then you won't be alive to go back in time to kill him.....spooky.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But the point is that it its impossible to travel through a wormhole - unless you are a sub-atomic particle!!

And that's not spooky - just common sense!
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    damn you guys..now im going to start into quantum mechanics...uugghhh

but now im so into it...

anybody suggest any good books?

7. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    For those of you who may be interested in this topic, I suggest the following reading list:

1) " A Brief History of Time " Stephen Hawking

2) " Hyperspace " Michio Kaku

3) " Surfing Through Hyperspace" Clifford Pickover

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a situation back in 1492 that I must attend to...........;)
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok..maybe i said something wrong...this theory is that you can't go into time but rather slow it down...or you slow it down...but it is still impossible as of present..you could only go back as far as the first time machine was made...

has anyone else heard of the two black holes that will collide with each other..(it won't happen for millions of years) but they said that the energy from this collision will wrinkle the fabric of time and the time between two spaces will change..

now back on reading quantum mechanics

9. When the two black holes collide they should emit gravitational waves, which will be stretching and compressing of the "fabric" of space time. The LIGO detector is designed to measure these types of phenomena.

The wormholes that are small enough for sub-atomic particles to go through can exist because of quantum fluctuations... related to the whole concept of quantum uncertainty.

I recommend "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne as a good book about time and what you have started talking about.

Other than that, the math of it is the way to understand it. If you are interested in it, why not study it. That's what I do.

10. damn Geoff St. Germaine, how do you find this stuff out.... I agree with your beliefs about Time Travel...and personally, I think that if we ever successfully do, it is gonna be with Radio or TV frequencies...which would still be an amazing breakthrough....

But you can only go into the future, and you can't come back. It's called "sleep".

12. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    As our British friends will tell you, everything you've ever wanted to know about time travel is covered in the old BBC show " Dr Who "!!! :D

Much more entertaining than sitting through an entire semester of Quantum Physics!!!
  13. awesome book. great read!!!

actually iirc this is true, time travel would only be possible in the foward direction, not the back. which also means you would be stuck there. guess it'd be of no scientific use, considering they wouldnt know what happened when blah went into the future :meh:
  14. I sleep a lot
    Does that make me a expert at time travel?
    :rolleyes: :confused: :D
  15. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Don't forget "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe". Its the most accurate.(IMO) :D
    The whole series(?) including "...And Thanks for All the Fish."
  16. Well, I get paid to study it. I am finishing my Undergraduate degree in Honours Physics and next year I will be starting my Masters'. I just have to hope I get the scholarship I want.;)

Time travel into the future is possible, you could go extremely close to the speed of light and your time will dilate relative to the people on Earth's. Kind of like the twins "paradox", which is a misnomer.

17. What about thermodynamics? By going back in time you would be in essence creating matter since in the period you go back to the matter that makes up you and the vehicle you travel in would already exist. In effect you would be creating energy.
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wouldn't the force from such immense speeds crush your body though?
  19. There shouldn't be a thermodynamic problem.

There may be a problem with conservation of energy. Relativistically invariant formulations of the laws of physics imply a local conservation, but not a global one. The global conservation is found by integrating the local conservation out to infinity and assuming that there is no flow in or out of the system. In this case there would be flow into the system. I really don't know and I am not sure if it has been resolved. I rather doubt it, as it is probably dependent on the laws of quantum gravity, which are incomplete.

20. Force is related to acceleration, not velocity. At a constant velocity, there is no force. This can be seen from the fact that the laws of physics are the same in any inertial (non-accelerating) reference frame. For instance, if you are driving in your car at 60 mph and you throw a ball up, it comes straight down as the only unbalanced force on the ball is gravity (it is the only one with a noticeable effect). It doesn't shoot into the back seat or anything like that.

It would take you a while (on the order of a couple of months) to safely accelerate up to near the speed of light, but it is conceivable to do it, if you had a sufficiently advanced space craft.