1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TIME WARP IN CYGNUS DUOLOGY!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Nov 9, 2010.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    We name major celestial bodies after greek or roman figures. the Guy from Cygnus X-1 (the one who flew into a black hole), was later renamed Cygnus, god of Balance. So, did he fly into a black hole that was actually his namesake from the long forgotten past, meaning that he exists in both the future and the past, meaning that the universe, in the sense of time-space exists, continuously, in different times all at once?????

It makes my head hurt......

Another thing I've found is that the guy telling the Hemispheres story seems to know a lot about how the humans felt during the war of the gods, and that it seems to be Cygnus (the guy from the black hole, not the black hole itself...) is the teller. When he emerges as a ghost on Olympus, he says that it's just like "tales of Old". Then, did the whole story, told in third person go like this?

The world was torn apart because of a war between Dionysus and Apollo over the hearts and minds of mankind. There was no balance. [for right now, lets call the unnamed protagonist who later becomes Cygnus god of Balance Chuck.] Chuck realized this, and, believing that there was some way that he could either reach the higher realm of Olympus with his heroic or courageous death as was told in the mythology, or escape to a new realm, believing there to be another world on the other side of it, flew into the black hole of Cygnus X-1. He emerged on Olympus, and saw the world in shambles, and seeing it's horrible state once more, he cried out for balance and order, and peace. Apollo and Dionysus heard his cry, his story, and ceased their war, and Chuck was then recognized and inducted as a new god, called Cygnus, god of Balance.

Or was it another kind of story....

He flew into the black hole because he wondered what was on the other side, and was transported either into the future or the past, to Olympus as the Apollo-Dionysus war was going on, and, well, you know the rest. But if it is the past, then the time warp is in place that he flew into a black hole of his namesake! Which brings back the paradox of time and space existing on different levels and spaces of reality....

AGGHHHH it makes my head hurt!

2. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    The middle makes the most sense. The third is what you concretely know from the duology. I just found these correlations interesting.

3. Gort

Gort Banned

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    [​IMG]

4. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    What's that supposed to mean???? I'm confused already. Don't make me more confused. You won't like me when I'm confused.....:)

5. This was my take on the story: The protagonist (your Chuck) is in the future. He knows what has happened to mankind and doesn't like it..and would like to change it. So he sets off to find the gods and see if they'll change it. Why they're at Cygnus X-1 is anybody's guess..the futuristic Olympus apparently. He has to die to be reborn (self sacrifice) as the god of balance.

It's just kind of a Jesus story with a futuristic bent.

6. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    This might be a good spot to bring up my 2112/Cygnus thought.

Apollo = Priests
    Dionysus = Elder Race

Or I might just be stoopid.

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Let me call Neil on this... I'll get back to you later!
    really, I've always had a hard time with how book I leads into book II.
    We know he was torn apart as he entered the black hole.
    I always thought book II had some life after death / heavenly theme and that the story was told by the pilot of the spaceship... I dunno...

8. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010

and polytheism and black holes. :D

No matter what its true plot line is, it's still one of the best epic prog rock productions ever created!!!! :bassist:

9. I agree totally. :D

10. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    By the way, I didn't know you were a girl. I found out when somebody started a "girl bassists club" thread.

11. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    and who is that hugging Geddy Lee in your avatar? It looks like Will Lee.

12. Alex Lifeson. :)

13. Okay.....?

14. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    That's awesome. I don't know too many girl Rush fans.

Not really important, but it's kind of cool to me.

15. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Some guy said "my good friend and a long time TBr Eaglemoon is a girl" i don't even really remember how it came to that. I read the thread at like 2 am. I can't remember much that was said on there. But yeah, I have never talked to a girl that is so experienced and knowledgeable about the bass too. Just goes to show how much diversity there is here on TB. :D

16. Being a bass player, Rush fan AND a woman really puts me in the minority...but I love it. :D

17. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Okay, Eaglemoon, I have one last question for you. Do you have a Rickenbacker?

18. EagleMoon, I couldn't help but to notice the irony of where you live. Do you have any Middletown Dreams? ;)