1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Christian Houmann, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Hey Janek,

Thanks for the 14 podcast!

You already got me shredding for a few hours now :) I have transcripe all you lines. But one thing strikes me eveytime and that's your time. Even at high tempo you play extremely fast!

Has this been very natural for you or have you work hard :)

Do you have some ex of how you have practice to be able to play so fast?

Thanks
    -Christian

2. Hey, I would like to add to this question. How are you able to think melodically at high speeds rather than just wiggling your fingers?

3. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    may I add this to the questions above; what is the role of relaxation when you play at faster tempi (if that applies)? Its difficult for me not to tighten up or try to play too hard - which results in getting bogged-down.
    Thanks!
    JS

4. Thanks for the Podcast Janek !! Great stuff as usual .

5. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I think the question of speed and time comes from working on a lot of this stuff very slowly for a very long time. I would always work ideas at a funerals pace for hours and hours and slowly bring up the metronome tempo while still maintaining all the aspects of relaxation. I think it has a lot to do with touch also. When I was shedding technique and building up these muscles in my fingers I was always aware of the quality of sound I was getting from the instrument. I wanted to make sure the notes were clear and under control without digging in too much and compromising the performance. It's easy to start digging in when you get tired and your chops are running out, but that's quite the opposite of what you need to do. You'll increase your stamina by relaxing more and not digging in so much.

I'm able to think melodically at these speeds and tempos because as much as I worked on the technical stuff at slow tempos, I also worked on the content down there too. The more something is a muscle memory reaction the more free it can flow as a musical idea. And then it's a question of piecing together the words and phrases into sentences to put together the story you want to tell. It's just like language in that sense. I'm touch typing right now, in english, and conveying many rather complex ideas through the written word. I would do the same through speech if this was a masterclass or a clinic, and playing music is no different. The more fluent you are in the language of improvised music the more your ideas will flow no matter what the tempo.

Janek

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021