1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TimeFactor and ModFactor integration

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grovest, Sep 13, 2008.

1. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I'd like to share what I've found regarding the Eventide pedals' control and integration capabilities. For those that don't know, these are digital delay and modulation pedals with expression pedal, 3-aux switch, and MIDI support.

The pedals have an intuitive program change map that defaults to patch 1:1-> pgm 0; 1:2 -> pgm 1; 2:1 -> pgm 2, etc up to 20:2 -> pgm 39. Because of this, all that's necessary are two or three tweaks from 'out of the box' (turn on midi program changes, turn on midi output) and the second Factor will change patches in parity to the first Factor. That being said, both the transmit map and receive map are completely customizable, and my concept at the moment is to have 4 or 5 delay patches that will sync with 2 or 3 modulation patches. You can assign the same program change to multiple patches, so that the MF could use patch 12:1 when the TF changes to either 8:2 or 15:1, etc.

Moving from program changes to continuous control, all of the knobs and optionally, the expression pedal, can generate cc messages on a user-assignable ID. You could use a Factor pedal to control audio software on your PC (the Factors can interface with your PC via DIN 5 or USB MIDI). I've tested this with MIDI-OX and it's more or less plug and play. More interestingly, the "second" Factor pedal can assign incoming CC changes to any of its own knobs. I've tested this will all the assignable knobs, and it works fine. Here is an example: I set the 'mix' knob on the TF to program a CC that, on the MF, I map to the 'intensity' knob. So as the mix gets wetter on the delay, the modulation gets more "intense". More than one knob can be mapped to the same CC, however there is a GUI issue where the receiving pedal seems to only display the new value of the highest-id knob that was changed, but I definitely hear both of the assigned knobs' value being changed.

Either or both pedal could have an expression pedal or 3 button aux switch plugged in. For my purposes, I'm only using one exp pedal and aux switch. The expression pedal can be assigned to one or many of the knobs- and not just 0 - 100, but to a custom range, including some knobs turning 'up' and others turning 'down' in the same motion. I do agree with some of the user reviews online that it is a little cumbersome to program the exp pedal (especially to 'remove' it from assigned knobs). If Eventide could have just put a little 'clear / set' button somewhere out of the way, certain programming, like the pedal, would be a little easier. The pedal will even encode the exp. pedal with MIDI CC messages-- which, yes can be mapped on the receiving Factor pedal as well to allow the exp pedal to control very different mappings on each pedal simultaneously.

I did find a niggle with the exp pedal and MIDI assignments. Let's say I've programmed knob 1 on the sender Factor to manipulate knob 1 on the receiver Factor. When I turn knob 1 on the sender there is a 1:1 update on the receiver's knob 1 (or other midi-cc assigned knobs)- no sweat. BUT, now let's say I assign the exp pedal to a range of values on the sender's knob 1. When I move the exp pedal (connected to the sender Factor), the sender knob 1 values update just as expected, but knob 1 on the receiver does not change- rather, the parameters assigned to the receiver's patch's exp pedal CC ID change instead. I'd have to think for a while before deciding that this is a smart move on Eventide's part or just an oversight.

The Aux switch input accepts any of the three combinations of Tip, Ring or Ring+Tip. Using a mono cable and a paper clip, what you'll create are Ring+Tip inputs. The aux switch can be assigned to the parameters you'd guess... looper start (TF), brake (MF), bypass on, tap tempo, bank up / down, and a few more and I've tested most of these and they work fine. Smartly, the AUX switch can be setup to just duplicate the three built in functions- I imagine for use in a situation where the TF is racked or on a shelf for you to control live. Something I wouldn't have expected but find intriguing is that an aux switch can be assigned to a knob to set a min and max value. I tested this by assigning my aux switch 1 to knob 1 (delay mix), with 10:2 as the min and 2:10 as the max. The TimeFactor is a dual delay, so with that example I can switch between primarily delay A and primarily delay B to create a kind of "sub patch". While the exp. assignments are unique to each patch, the aux switch settings seem global, although multiple actions can be assigned to the same switch inputs (T, R, and T+R).

And, much like the exp. pedal, when I assigned the aux switch to toggle between two values of a particular knob on the sender Factor, and I then mapped that knob to a knob on the receiver Factor with MIDI CC, the receiving knob does not change when the sending knob's parameter is manipulated with the Aux switch.

Another feature I haven't been able to make work is MIDI clock syncing between these two pedals. I was able to sync a drum machine with the TF, and that was elementary. But there too I did find something a little quirky: Let's say the looper is in 'beat' mode (i.e. tempo is flashing on the TF and time elapsed is described as beats, etc). In such a case, I was able to sync the beat display from a drum machine, but found that the record start / stop / and play events on the TF didn't align with the drum clock. It seems like it would be so easy for the TF to make the loop start and stop at the next 'beat' after button press, but this could be a bad assumption.

Since I have almost no experience with other effect pedals, I'm not in a good position to review the actual sound these make... though they sound great to me.

---
    edited for clarity