Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Timeless music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    What songs to you seem to have a timeless feel? Whether it be the music, how it makes you feel, etc. Of course this is completely subjective and opinions will vary.

I was thinking about this when watching the latest Peter Gabriel DVD. For me Peter Gabriel's music stands the test of time. I can listen to songs from his early solo days, like Security or Melt and they stand up as well today as they did when they were first released.

I also get the same feeling from many classical recordings, short of some pieces like madrigals and such.

So, let's hear your chioces...

2. Anything by "The Oscar Peterson Trio"

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. I may be too young to say this (15) but I think anything by Pink Floyd is timeless. This is evident in the sales of their cds year after year, they still sell albums every year. Great band, greater music.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The Stooges still sound cutting edge even now. Albeit, there are a plethora of bands that rip pages directly out of the Stooges' book, but Iggy and the boys were decidedly forward looking while their imitators have a definate retro flair.

The Clash, no matter what, I'm always in the mood for the Clash.

5. Fur Elise
    Moonlight Sonata
    Metallica :D

6. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Firstly, anything by the Beatles. Other than that, I would say most of the classic Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Jaco, etc. stuff also never gets old.

7. Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, ELO, Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, most of Deep Purple and Led zeppelin, Hendrix, Queen etc.

IMO most of the "timeless" music was created some time ago. It seems to me that a lot of music that is being made today can be cool, but I don't think of it as timeless. For some strange reason people nowadays just don't make songs like Purple Haze, Child in time, Starway to heaven, All along the watchtower etc. anymore. I mean I don't know any release from let's say this century that will become a classic, like for instance the first hendrix album, or The wall from Pink floyd was...

8. "Die Kunst der Fuge" (BWV 1080) - J S Bach