1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Times sure have changed!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brass Nut, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Been away from playing since the mid 70's and holy cow have things changed!
    Anyways, What I have coming (to get started again) is a Michael Kelly 5TBK Dragonfly 5 string acoustical/electric.
    I need a starting point for strings on this. Mostly It'll be just playing along for relaxation at home, and expect 70% of my use to be acoustical. The other could be plugged into a older 100 watt Randal I still have (somewhere) if it still works.
    Being the older sort, much of my playing will be with Irish / Brit. Folk, some kitaro type ethnic New Age, and of course what I can remember of the 60's and 70's.
    Assuming Nylons will be a prob for the amp, and some of the bronze whatevers are questionable, I remember liking ribbon wound years ago, but as mentioned things change and it's a whole new game out there.
    Would like to try a couple of different style string for my above play list but where to begin? I see this as possibly getting expensive rather quickly and hope someone can save me some time and expense.
    Looking for a couple of suggestions to try and why you suggest them if possible.
    Thanks,
    Brass Nut
    PS; back in my day we never had plastic coated or taper wound. Heck we never dreamt of a acoustical / elect. 5 string either.
    Yup, times have changed, fortunately, a quick browse here seems to show a lot of info for some sort of catching up.
    Think this is going to be a fun adventure! :hyper:

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Welcome back!