Timespan between changing strings/setting intonation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    How often do you change your strings?

How often do you have to set your intonation? I'm a fairly aggressive player and I think due to me diggin in fairly hard when I play I've knocked my intonation out gradually over the past two months or so...
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I like to change my strings about every 3 months, but it usually ends up being 6 months due to funds and waiting on strings to be shipped from Canada. I don't play all that often though, maybe 4 times a week for a few hours each time and don't play any gigs or anything, just home practice and some jam sessions. I always check my neck relief, action and intonation when I change strings.
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    The reason I ask this is because I checked my intonation last night for the first time since I set it about 2 months ago and it was off. The reason I check it was because I noticed one of the springs on the bridge saddles was starting to vibrate when I played and sure enough all the saddles had loosened up or either the strings had stretched some. I think it also may be due to me carrying around my bass a lot to gigs and back and forth from my house to our band room.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

You are not supposed to set the intonation accordingly to your springs :D
    If you feel your intonation is really off in two months, then go and reset it every two months, if it makes you happy.
    I change strings in about 5-7 months as my favourite strings are not available in my country, and they cost $65... :spit:
    Anyway, since I prefer my strings a bit broken in, I don't mind
  5. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I suppose I'll change mine every three to four months, as I just got my bass. Since the bridge is pretty solid, I don't forsee that changes in intonation will be necessary; HOWEVER, I recommend checking/adjusting it at EVERY string change and in your case, whenever necessary.