Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Timespan between changing strings/setting intonation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    How often do you change your strings?

How often do you have to set your intonation? I'm a fairly aggressive player and I think due to me diggin in fairly hard when I play I've knocked my intonation out gradually over the past two months or so...

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I like to change my strings about every 3 months, but it usually ends up being 6 months due to funds and waiting on strings to be shipped from Canada. I don't play all that often though, maybe 4 times a week for a few hours each time and don't play any gigs or anything, just home practice and some jam sessions. I always check my neck relief, action and intonation when I change strings.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    The reason I ask this is because I checked my intonation last night for the first time since I set it about 2 months ago and it was off. The reason I check it was because I noticed one of the springs on the bridge saddles was starting to vibrate when I played and sure enough all the saddles had loosened up or either the strings had stretched some. I think it also may be due to me carrying around my bass a lot to gigs and back and forth from my house to our band room.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

You are not supposed to set the intonation accordingly to your springs :D
    If you feel your intonation is really off in two months, then go and reset it every two months, if it makes you happy.
    I change strings in about 5-7 months as my favourite strings are not available in my country, and they cost $65... :spit:
    Anyway, since I prefer my strings a bit broken in, I don't mind

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I suppose I'll change mine every three to four months, as I just got my bass. Since the bridge is pretty solid, I don't forsee that changes in intonation will be necessary; HOWEVER, I recommend checking/adjusting it at EVERY string change and in your case, whenever necessary.

Eric