Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

timing control

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ugo, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    can you guys suggest training techniques/exercises for improving timing (and control over timing)?

i spent most of my bass playing years in situations where the accuracy of my timing was far from paramount. however, these days i work heavily with quantized sequencers and i'd like to get my playing really tight.

i would also like to reach the point where i can consciously choose to play behind, ahead, or dead on. these days i just seem to always rush things a bit.

thanks for the advice,
    -ugo

2. MAWBassist

MAWBassist

Jul 18, 2005
    Maryland
    I've been told that a metronome would help a lot with timing. Just set it to the speed you think would be good for a certain song and play to the clicks and if you notice you're going faster than the clicks then adjust your playing over time you will notice a change.

3. shattered611

shattered611

Jul 15, 2005
  4. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    cool! very handy.

yeah, you guys are probably right...it would likely be a good idea for me to step away from my sequencer and sit with a metronome instead. every time i open up cubase i can never resist pulling in some drum loops and synths. great environment for songwriting, but quite a distraction from focused practice.

-ugo

5. ..I would add that if it's at all possible, RECORD yourself and the Click -(you can do that in Cubase, n'est pas?)

...Set a click for a certain piece, record yourself playing the piece AND the click..

...Then play the recording back to yourself at anytime (I usually listen to it in the car; it doesn't have to be a "Study" of your playing, you'll just notice things you like and dislike about your playing..)...

... You'll be able to asess your <ability to play with a click> (and your progess!) more objectively!

I've found this to be EXCELLENT for solidifying my Time-feel;
    I can REALLY NOTICE how much more confident my playing becomes after I've done a session or two of this.

----> "Click/Playing > Record (pref with Headphones) > Playback"

6. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    really helpful advice i got was to internalize the pulse. and that means opening your ears to what you are playing and to the metronome. Also, learn how to subdivide while playing.

7. cirwin

cirwin

May 2, 2005
    I use a drum machine with a click (snare hit, actually) on the 2 & 4. I run that thru a DOD A/B box so that I can "silence" the click while playing and then kick it back in. Shows up any weaknesses.

8. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    how long do you folks suggest each metronome practice session be?

thanks for the advice. :)
    -ugo

9. MAWBassist

MAWBassist

Jul 18, 2005
    Maryland
    I'd say start at about 20 minutes to a half an hour. When you notice improvement go for longer. Then change the speed of the clicks.