1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Timing Issues...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by x_FireInside_x, Dec 13, 2001.

1. x_FireInside_x

x_FireInside_x

Dec 13, 2001
    Ok. First off I have been playing bass since I was 15 and Im 20 now so this is very embarassing. I have mostly played in punk bands that were very basic. Mostly the bass fallowed the guitar and occasionally a few fills here and there. But now I am in a more hardcore band where I slap more do more fills and play with the drums mostly. This is all fine while my guitarist plays but once he goes into a lead we screw it all up. I cant keep the timing worth crap. After palying for 5 years you figure I would know some thing as important as that especially being a bassist. I recently got a metronome but I dont underdstand how to play along with it. (Jesus christ!) Someone please help me before I kill myself:)
    thnx

ps. why cant I use profanity? Just little words like edit - you don't get it, do you? NO PROFANITY..... mod

2. i have the same problem. i learned originally from a guitarist, so my main goal was to keep up with him. so being a beginner, i sped up and slowed down and i just strained to be on time with him. when i entered my first band with a drummer, i was totally off, and better yet i had to stare at the guitarist the whole time. iv'e now been playing for over a year, i have many things to learn, and iv'e gotten better on keeping time. i found that jamming with a drummer helps. i also focused on the drums more in the music i listen to, and that helped. goodluck!