timmy c like distorton

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by katri, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I am wondering if i wanted to build a distortion to get close to the tone of timmy c (i know its actually impossible to get spot on) would i need to base it round any particular model or just use a basic bass distortion circuit???

many thanks

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    He uses a homebuilt distortion, and the overdrive on his Ampeg amps. Just try stuff out, see what you like.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    also check out an old Marshall Guv'nor
  4. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, that's a great suggestion. Check those out!
  5. thru most of RatM - original marshall guvnor

thru most of audioslave - jimi hendrix fuzz and homemade distortion (made from a wah pedal...i found a similar fuzz sound in the morley chrome fuzz wah)

now: ampeg svt amps (on dirty settings), homemade distortion, compression

3 amps, 4 levels of gain (clean, add 2nd amp, engage homemade distortion and compression in 2nd amp, add 3rd amp)

i have a similar setup...what i use is
    clean, add 2nd amp, add home made modded brassmaster, add 3rd amp w/ original marshall guvnor

works nicely for me, get me the tone im looking for and is a very convincing timmy c-alike tone when doing covers

that was a quick rundown of everything...do a search on him, hes been discussed here many a time
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have never been impressed with the brassmaster, what mods did you use?
  7. i started with the twin-t filter from generalguitargadgets.com version of the project, and then my dad (used to design amplifiers) put a couple of his little tricks in there...so im not gonna tell u those... :ninja:

8. i already have one and am wondering how to get the distortion sound
  9. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh, wow then. There aren't that many possible settings, just 5 knobs. Just play with them, you'll get it. :smug:
  10. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    If you like soldering you can easily add more roundness and bassness to the original guv'nor!

just replace the resistor looking cap soldered at C5 by a 100n cap (other mods will come later!!)
  11. i mean what could i use to get the distortion sound from a different pedal
  12. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Why would you need a different one? Don't you have a Guv'nor
  13. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've got an original Guv'nor, can you link me schematics or something?